Composition issues

alexblackwelder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1563823599_1d6474a27a_b.jpg

So I found this AWESOME little spot in the woods. It was basically like a forest with these huge rocks as the foundation. I was really having trouble setting up a shot compositionally. How would you have done it? Does my photo lack a "focus"?

What lens are you using? What settings are you using? What time of day are you shooting? Is there a better POV?

To be brutally honest, this photo is uninspiring and boring. It looks from the sunspots that it is either early moring or late afternoon on an overcast day. If it's a thick canopy, perhaps try noon-ish if the sky is bluer because the vacant spots through the trees, as is, are hard on my eyes. Not to mention the bare tree trunks in the near foreground are just chopped off and not appealing at all.

Walk around and try to visualize a photograh that tells a story. Perhaps focus in on the boulders, down between the cracks and crevices, with a shallower DOF. Maybe a lower POV that shows the canopy.

Looks like the area has potential, you just have to locate it.

That would make a great spot to do a large group of people or even a wedding party. I can see the group all standing on their rock... it wouldn't make a bd CD cover for a band either. Neat spot, you ought to keep it in mind for a lot of things.

Mike

What lens are you using? What settings are you using? What time of day are you shooting? Is there a better POV?

To be brutally honest, this photo is uninspiring and boring. It looks from the sunspots that it is either early moring or late afternoon on an overcast day. If it's a thick canopy, perhaps try noon-ish if the sky is bluer because the vacant spots through the trees, as is, are hard on my eyes. Not to mention the bare tree trunks in the near foreground are just chopped off and not appealing at all.

Walk around and try to visualize a photograh that tells a story. Perhaps focus in on the boulders, down between the cracks and crevices, with a shallower DOF. Maybe a lower POV that shows the canopy.

Looks like the area has potential, you just have to locate it.

I used an 18mm at around sunset. I have it on manual settings, so I don't really remember which aperture/shutter speed combo. I think I had it on 400 ISO. Oh, you aren't that brutal. I knew it was to begin with but I couldn't get past how to fix it. Thank you for your advice. I really wanted a shot to show the vastness of all the boulders but I couldn't find one and failed. I'm gonna go back and take your tips and try again.

Thanks!

I agree! I want to go back and take some portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back