Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What about the walk sign in the center.
Is this composition too complicated?

20050922nyimages00120eday7.jpg

Don't edit this one, please.

its very busy IMHO. The cut off security camera, the other round (hexigonal?) thing bothers me too. Also the faded stickers on the light post. I dont like this one.

The subject is the cross walk man. I just dont feel drawn to it. I was thinking maybe a tighter crop, but even then I just dont feel anything for this one.

What I DO like is the green on that door, looks to be exposed well for its color.

I don't think this is a fair case to judge composition, because the short answer is that the composition is no good, but the real problem is that I don't think a different composition or crop would make the photo any better.

Read up on the rule of thirds.

Why did you even take this?

Just out of curiousity.
Why did this picture draw responses only from viewers who post pictures rarely or never themselves? Is this a cultural phenomenon I'm not aware of?

I can't answer your question in your previous post, as why people post and don't post can really only be deterimined by themselves. However, I think a tighter crop at the top, and a more of the green would help. I envision it as a landscape format with the crosswalk sign being in the top right "rule-of-thirds" point.

I like this photo. When you look at the crosswalk sign the door behind it seems to have a soft glow to it. And the same green is reflected in the light itself as if its showing through.
And I think your 3rds are there. I only wish there were more advertisements on the post.

I've posted pictures before...in recent history, in fact. Sorry you missed them. Doesn't change the fact that your composition is uninteresting.

Edit: And for the record, I tried to post some of my real work in the critique forum last weekend, so that you could all try to poke holes in it. But the mods won't let me. I'm not permitted to post photos for critique that I'm already satisfied with, because I don't have any question about them.

I can't say I'm a fan of the shot as it is now...I can see it as a tight horizontal crop...just focusing on the green door and the walk sign. I see you mentioned not to post edits...I'd be more than happy to PM an example of what I mean if you're curious...though it probably isn't necessary. I could see this working as a part of a series..but I'm not sure how it stands alone.

It's nice to see even the talented have queries from time to time :sillysmi:

Why did you even take this?

wow..what a great critique, its nice to have children visiting the forums.

i find some of the members here to be complete ass hats.:er:

as for this picture, i wonder how a wider shot would have looked, im more interested in the green door then the crosswalk man.

Regarding the image: like others have said, yes it seems to be a bit comlicated. Loosing the top would help for sure. I would crop out te post, leaving only the walk sign over the green door.

Regarding the other topic: I can only speak for myself. I saw your image, thought about it and to be honest didn't feel competent to judge it, so I kept quiet and left the thread. As an afterthought, I decided I can also learn from giving my opinion and came back, only to read the answers before yours and wonder for a while.

I cannot say why people post borderline offensive messages but fail to show any work themselves.

You raise an intersting point and have produced a good example.

I've posted pictures before...in recent history, in fact.

Yep, two threads. In one you have edited the photos out. That's all I could find in one year's history.

the mods won't let me. I'm not permitted to post photos for critique that I'm already satisfied with, because I don't have any question about them.

Nobody is allowed to do that. It's nothing against you in specific (AFAIK). It is a general rule of the forum to use the General Gallery to show the work you are already happy with. I am quite sure you are welcome to post your real work there.

A tighter crop would help out a lot in this pic. The items mentioned before (light post, hexagon thingy, camera) are too distracting. If the crop was tighter to make the whole background green, and place the walking guy in a 3rd, that would help IMO.

to add my .02 about the other topic going on here: As a new member who is trying to learn by reading these posts, commenting on others attempts, and posting my own, the same people seem to show up and give very hurtful remarks about photographs that beginners are looking for suggestions on. If you look at the name of the section that this forum is in, it is called "Foundations of Photography". I must say that many times I have thought about getting some help on a particular photo, and thought, "what happens if people dont like it and bash me for even posting it?" This should not happen when you are trying to learn. Furthermore, there are a number of mods who are very quick to move threads around to the appropriate forums, this means they must frequent the threads. Not one time have I seen any of these remarks challenged my a mod. This type of behaviour does not harvest quality education and I hope that more people realize this so we can have a better community in here, because I feel this is the most useful section to beginners.

to add my .02 about the other topic going on here: As a new member who is trying to learn by reading these posts, commenting on others attempts, and posting my own, the same people seem to show up and give very hurtful remarks about photographs that beginners are looking for suggestions on. If you look at the name of the section that this forum is in, it is called "Foundations of Photography". I must say that many times I have thought about getting some help on a particular photo, and thought, "what happens if people dont like it and bash me for even posting it?" This should not happen when you are trying to learn. Furthermore, there are a number of mods who are very quick to move threads around to the appropriate forums, this means they must frequent the threads. Not one time have I seen any of these remarks challenged my a mod. This type of behaviour does not harvest quality education and I hope that more people realize this so we can have a better community in here, because I feel this is the most useful section to beginners.

I only started in this forum a month or so ago, and this type of bashing I just noticed happening in the past couple of days. I think it's an immature, petty attempt at an ego boost for the unhelpful, rude commenters. I had been ignoring it completely...but your comments made me feel like i needed to say something. I hope you aren't discouraged from the forum--there is a wealth of intelligent, talented, helpful people here. The_Traveler being one of the people on this thread who has helped me immensely in the past--who takes the time to think out short tutorials and explanations for other posters. I wouldn't say that it is the job of the Mods to hold people's hands and make them be nice...because forums work under the assumption that users are in them to learn and reciprocate help. :meh:

I apologize to The_Traveler for continuing to take his post off topic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back