composition query

I asked a perfectly legitimate*question. If he didn't have any reason for taking this photo, other than "it looked cool" then why should I spend my time to comment on it? If I don't know what he's trying to achieve what else am I supposed to say? Sure I could just do small little comments on comp. and things like that, but I'm sure that's not what TheTraveler needs. I think he knows his technical stuff - I just want to know his ideas.

Harrison, I know what you mean, but I don't think he, or anyone else took it that way. They took it to mean "This photo is so bad why did you bother" instead of "What were you trying to achieve when you took this shot"

Whatever. I posted a suggestion and got nothing back from him either. *shrug*

Lew:

Thank you for noting my 'criticism' for what it was -- comments on what, for me, were features in the print which were distracting.

Please see my new thread on 'Impact!'

R.M. Thompson:

It's not unusual on this site, as on others, to take the time and effort to post a comment or suggestion and not have it acknowledged. Remember that many of the people posting questions or requests for information are not skilled in writing or steeped in the finer points of person-to-person communication. This should not stop us from doing our very best to help.

As a case in point, I've received very few comments on my series on basic b&w photography. It doesn't matter! [Yes, I know I'm shouting!] The information is there now. It's available to anyone who wishes to make use of it. That is what matters in the long run. Don't feel that you've been shunned. You haven't been.

Regards,

Jim/Torus34

Well this thread took an early and nasty turn. Even so, I like the photo. I really do. I must say, though...there's a difference between "Brutally honest critiques" and just plain being mean. Shame on all you bashers. The Photo Forum is supposed to be a place that welcomes ALL people at ALL levels, and helps them improve by offering helpful advice, not "The picture is no good." As an attempt to show the good will of the majority of the forum, here's my take.

It is busy, but the busyness of the frame juxtaposed with the simplicity of the gate works very well IMO. The thing to work on is how you frame it. Rule of 1/3s is only useful if you know when to break it. Here's your chance. My crop used the pole to frame the right side of the picture, and removes all the distracting stuff from above. I also did a bit of curves work to bring out the natural vignetting. Here it is:
20050922nyimages00120eday7.jpg

Excellent image in need of only very minor tweaks. :)

Let's all hold hands and sing "we are the world." Gimme a break. Quit being sensitive on other people's behalves. Why shame on me for not liking the photo? Big deal.

Being constructive and liking a photograph are not the same thing. You may disagree with my tactics, but I feel that I'm still being constructive. At least I explained why I didn't like the photo. Stop trying to give everyone a pat on the back for tripping the shutter.

Let's all hold hands and sing "we are the world." Gimme a break. Quit being sensitive on other people's behalves. Why shame on me for not liking the photo? Big deal.

Being constructive and liking a photograph are not the same thing. You may disagree with my tactics, but I feel that I'm still being constructive. At least I explained why I didn't like the photo. Stop trying to give everyone a pat on the back for tripping the shutter.

I don't want this to turn nasty. Let's leave it here; you don't have to like me, I'm not asking you to. I'm just asking for you (and others) to try and be constructive in a way that is not rude. You don't have to like the photo, but you do have to respect the photographer.

I will turn this thread over to its original purpose now, which was not petty arguments.

Then don't pick fights...

I don't dislike you. I do dislike you writing off all of my criticism as just "bashing." Sometimes it's just tough love. You can't always be really nice when giving an honest critique. If you fault me for being rude, then fine, but don't start a public argument with me about my critique style and then wonder why the thread is derailed.

Then don't pick fights...

Sometimes it's just tough love. You can't always be really nice when giving an honest critique. I

Actually one can be polite and respectiful. I've raised 5 children to be good, responsible, honest adults and I know that tough love is only appropriate when the ordinary variety is ignored.

I also recognize that tough love can be the cloak for bullies to exercise harshness for its own sake.

It says much about MaxBloom that he is willing to dish out criticism but never to expose his own work.

i think hes simon cowell

Tough love is for your kids.. Not adults.. Lets all start acting like adults.

We all have different critique styles. We love to watch Simon Cowell .. although he is harsh their is some truth in what he says. I personally think Simon sucks... and their isnt any constuctiveness in his critique. This forum is to help people get better at what they do. Maybe, to make more money in their photography or to just make better pictures. Sometimes the truth hurts. I know that Max has harshly critiqued my work.. But it has made me take better pictures. I was upset and ****ed... BUT thats his opinion.. who cares ... I asked to be critiqued .. Its funny... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. so is photography.. Max isnt Ansel Adams.. Its his opinion. We all have them and we have asked for it. I have never seen a photo by Max who knows.. maybe he is ansel..

one thing i dont like about this photo is how the plastic (i would assume?) is crinkly looking. If there were any way to post process that out, i think this would be a fairly good photo though, i like the subtle clash between yellow and gree, and the overall grittyness it has

I think what else the photo might be missing is some reference points.

I've tried taking pics of these signs before too but there's always something missing when I do. I felt I needed to include a person (leaning against the pole, walking by, whatever) or something else to give the image context without competing with the sign for attention.

That's my .02.

As for the bickering... overly kind doesn't provide just overly harsh doesn't either. If you have something to say and aren't smart enough to package it in a polite manner the least you can do is provide alternatives, solutions to the problems or anything else to promote some thought.

Without pointing fingers I can completely understand why people want nothing to do with the Critique forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back