Composition vs. exposure

Never said he was was the best of all times, just of those who used small format cameras. One major contribution, simple, the grandfather of photojournalism. I know the history of photography well and the photographers you mention, as for Lange could not agree with you more. AA does not even make my top 20, would be happy to discuss that in detail, and I think I have mentioned why several times on here.

From my readings on HCB, his first use of 35mm was a trip to Africa in 1931, but if you could direct me to that transcript I would certainly like to add that to my library. I enjoy disussing photographers, but my reason for mentioning him as a 35mm user (since the majority of people on here use the format) was to futher make the point on cropping, which seems to have gone amiss. Not that he didn't crop, but that he did it with forethought.

Another point I do agree with you on is many who deserve credit never get mentioned, Henry Robinson, Demachy, and I would go as far as to say Stieglitz, many know he owned the gallary that AA made his start in but few know he was an accomplished photographer in his own right.

One major contribution, simple, the father of photojournalism.

Jabob Riis, Lewis Hine, Erich Salomon, who preceded him, and Robert Capa, who came after, are among many who might quibble with that. HCB is less like Beethoven, a revolutionary who threw the bombs of new ideas into the world of music, than Mozart, who came at the end of a long period of classicism and wrote the final word on it.

I would go as far as to say Stieglitz, many know he owned the gallary that AA made his start in but few know he was an accomplished photographer in his own right.

I think more people who know about Stieglitz know his pictures than know about the gallery. Outside of the subpopulation of people who know about the history of photography, though, I'd agree that it's been decades since he was a household name. Unfortunately, that's the case for most great photogs. Ask your next-door neighbor about Rene Burri, John Guttman, Elliott Erwitt, even Walker Evans. You'll get get the glazed-over eyes look in seconds.

One major contribution, simple, the grandfather of photojournalism.

I would be more inclined to select from Fenton, Brady, Beato or Thomson if we are talking about grandfathers of FJ. HCB merely introduced an element of art and made it sexy and chic.
HCB was a good salesman in that he liked to surround himself with mystique - it went with his self-image of photographer-as-magician. To the same end he liked to obscure everything about himself. Every time he gave an interview he changed his stories. And he never ever let himself be photographed. He crystalised it all in the myth of the Decisive Moment.
I much prefer Les Krims' Indecisive Moments - 'there are more of them' :lol:
The interview I refer to is in Dialogue With Photography by Paul Hill & Thomas Cooper ISBN 0 948797 66 5.
One of the few essential books on Photography.

AA is in my list but low down and for reasons other than his photography. I'm cagey about saying anything against him, though. I did in this section a while back and made a lot of enemies. But this is the face of a man who doesn't care :mrgreen:

(PS I used to teach History of Photography ;) )

Thanks for the exchange.

No need to be cagey, I usually get blasted for saying things like I did above, surpised this time we ended up talking about HCB. I much prefer that, although a healthy discussion on work methods and approach to photography is always enjoyable.

The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange

“There is a vast difference between taking a picture and making a photograph.” – Robert Heinecken

“Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston

Most reactions

Back