Composition

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by woodsac, Aug 11, 2005.

1. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you're composing your photos, do you generally try and take exactly what it is you see *right then*? Or do you leave a little room for error by shooting wider and crop the photo after you see it?

And this is just in general. I know there are times when you want to be 'dead on', especially with those macro shots. But for like landscapes, cityscapes, buildings, etc.

2. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I usually shoot what I see, I never really think about editing my work when I take the shots.

Although...that is a good idea I suppose...

3. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

Most shots I try and leave a little border. Just because the aspect ration I print is rarely the aspect ratio of the original so some cropping is always required.

4. hammy

hammy TPF Noob!

I always try to frame and make my shot perfect right then. But sometimes of course, cropping afterwards is necessary. Whatever works.

5. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

No 35mm camera or DSLR gives you 100% in the viewfinder. At best what you see is only 95% of what gets recorded. There is always a bit around the edge that has stuff in it you didn't see so some 'trimming' is usualy required.

6. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

I try and be careful and get it exactly right, not a fan of photoshop (although i do use it)

When i start printing i might put consideration into printing, but right now i shoot for what i see in the viewfinder,

7. Bosscat

Bosscat TPF Noob!

With racing photos I try to do as much in camera cropping as possible, so that if i get a great print, and want to make a huge enlargement the quality will be better then if the subject is quite tiny.

8. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I try to leave a little for a saftey margin. Cropping in PS is no different than cropping from a negative but I try to have the basic feel of the photo and where I want the subject placed done in camera.

9. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

Cropping is my friend. :cool:

10. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I tend to leave a little space around the outside. You need to have space around the outside because the picture will be cropped if you try to go to 8x10.

11. Marctwo

Marctwo TPF Noob!

If it's something that's relatively still then I'll pretty much compose the shot in the VF.

But if it's something that's moving around quite a bit then I'm happy just to get it in the frame; Very happy if it's in the right part of the frame. :D

12. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

If I may correct you....:sexywink:

There are a few 35mm cameras that are 100% thru view. Nikon F3, F4, F5, F6 are among them. These I know for certain as they are what I use. There are other makes I have heard of in particular models only; I'm not sure of them off the top of my head.
    It is nice to know if you camera will give you 100% or not if you composition is giving you constraint problems so, you may want to findout what you have. And as others have said, it is more of a situational issue. Part of good technique is seeing your shot and knowing if you need to add crop compensation or not when composing.