compromise to do both film and digital?

scyzoryk_o4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I've recently started to really feel the restrictions of my "point and shoot" fujifilm finepix:er: and am planning to upgrade to a slr/dslr camera. Originally I thought i will go the digital rout and blow 1500-2000$(cdn):( on a canon D30 with lenses. However after looking into film cameras I came to realize that with a $200 slr i can get pictures the same or better quality then if i used a cannon 5d:drool:. And so now im on the fence between digital and film:confused:...

After some serious contemplation i think what im going to do is:
-Get a Nikon D50 ($500)- this will satisfy my need for a camera which i can use to take pictures which i plan to edit and have all that fun on photoshop:thumbup:
-Get a Nikon F80($150-200)- This will satisfy my need to take high quality photos, as well my craving to go film..and last but not least by using a film camera i will be encouraged to actually go and get film developed rather then take a bunch of pics on my digital camera, store them on my computer till my hard drive crashes and end up loosing thousands of photos( this is what happened to me last year :banghead: , i almost threw my computer along with my digi out the window)
- then go and pick out a couple slr lenses which i can use on both cameras ($300-500) not sure what lenses im going to get maybe a 28-70 and a 75-300??

Now im a beginner and i was wondering if it's a good idea to jump into both mediums(film/digital) at once or better to get really familiar at one b4 trying the other.
any input would be greatly appreciated and sry for the long post

Maksym

I can see no reason why you shouldn't do both. Some will disagree that 35mm film offers 'same or better' quality as current digital SLRs - but personally I don't think 'quality' is all that relevant, they're different mediums and it's possible to enjoy them both. You said yourself you have a 'craving' to use film so the cost of a film SLR would be money well spent. Fortunately with any of the main companies currently producing digital SLRs (with the exception of Olympus) you have the option of using autofocus film SLRs and digital SLRs with the same lenses. Though if you prefer Nikon then go for Nikon. One thing to consider is the so-called "crop factor" and the different field of view you get with any given focal length. Another thing to bear in mind is that the lenses designed only for small-sensor digital SLRs will not work properly on 35mm film SLRs. Lenses designed for 35mm SLRs will however work fine on the smaller-sensor digitals so long as they are physically and electronically compatible with the camera. Therefore you may be a little limited for lens choice if you only want lenses that will work on both film and digital SLRs - especially when it comes to wider lenses. But for the most part I think if you want to shoot both film and digital - and I do - it makes quite a bit of sense to have an SLR/dSLR setup and one set of lenses for both. Go for it :thumbup:

I agree. If it's within your means, and it's what you want, why not do both? One of the bonuses of doing both is that you can get the most out of wide angle shots with your film camera. Another is that you'll always have an extra slr on hand. I started with film and switched to digital, but I still love film. The most frustrating thing about film, if you're shooting color negatives, is that unless you work at a photo lab, you'll always have to trust development and printing to someone else.

When I'm going out for a "serious" shoot, I bring the digital. If I'm going out just for fun, and want a camera along for the ride, I bring the film slr, mostly because it's lighter and since it was relatively inexpensive, I don't care about it getting banged up by being constantly in my bag. Once I get a wide angle lens, I will mostly use film for that, also (due to the crop factor on the 400d).

Anyway, my point is that as you become accustomed to them, you'll find instances where one will suit you better than the other. I wish I had learned it all at once!

Ah thank you very much. I think this is what i will do. Except i plan to take my "more serious shots" with the slr rather then the dslr.But ya as soon as i get my visa paid off im going to start sitting on ebay looking for a good deal. thanks again

Maksym

However after looking into film cameras I came to realize that with a $200 slr i can get pictures the same or better quality then if i used a cannon 5d:drool:.

I disagree here... I have both a 5D and a Canon film camera. Using the same lenses and with the film body using ultra fine grain film and a semi-pro Nikon scanner, film just about touches the quality my digital 5D gives in rare cases. And the effort with the 5D is much less if the final goal is a digital image - proper scanning is quite an effort!

However, depending on the film used, the film camera wins in situations with complicated light.

Anyway, no reason to stay away from film :)

Somedays you just want to go for analogue! I still use my 35mm. Mainly for artsy shots like with ISO100 film loaded being exposed for 4 hours or so. Or with Kodak HIE Infrared film. Film is versatile and fun even for a digital photographer. And there's no arguing if you need to blow out highlights it's much more plesant on film than on digital.

And there's no arguing if you need to blow out highlights it's much more plesant on film than on digital.

well... I shot slide film for more than 10 years ... and the highlights can be a pain there as well ;)

I say go for both. I have the D50 with an N70. Sometimes I just feel in the mood to shoot film. However, I only shoot B&W because thats all I can do in my darkroom. There is just something about film that digital will never be able to do. Likewise, there are some days that digital is the way to go. The only problem that I have with interchanging lenses is the magnification of the D50. The 50 mm is too magnified sometimes when on the D50.

If I still had access to a dark room I would have kept my F60. I loved developing my own film.

Go with a film slr and a scanner (epsons are good and fairly inexpensive) and you'll probably have a good compromise.

I think DSLR would be the way to go.

You already have a digitial compact and are used to pointing, shooting and viewing. So will your friends and family. Film means a wait of a couple of days to process the film and get prints and even then you'd pay for prints that are rotten because you haven't viewed them.
Digital means you view the images within seconds and only print the ones you like.
Buy a memory card and fill it, download it and reuse the memory card.
Buy a film camera, load it with film finish it, and then go buy another, and another, and another, ad nauseum.
You'll know that apertures, exposures, dates are all embedded in a digital file.
Film camera? if those details are important then carry a notebook and pen or a dictaphone.

I had 2 film cameras aswell as a 6mp Digital Rebel. I intended to keep the film cameras but after about 2 months and never having lifted them they were sold.

Quality wise, i'd say for prints up to around A4 size you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. Buy a more expensing DSLR eg the 5D you mention and you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference until you print much larger.

I learned more in a few months with my DSLR than i did with analogue SLR camera because of the instant results and checking the settings eg f2.8 compared f11.

I know crop factors and lens focal lengths then can change depending on the camera but I'd still suggest digital - wider angle lenses can be bought to compensate.

Personally i'd always recommend the digital SLR - especially 8-10mp DSLRs coming down in price so quickly.

Those are all certainly benefits of using a dSLR... but the OP wants to use a dSLR and a film SLR. Personally I like doing this and it's not like you would waste a lot of money by trying it; if it doesn't work out one can simply sell the film bodies again at no great loss.

As I said, a film slr and a scanner, and here's why.

1. Film (especially black and white) is still the highest capture medium available and 35mm is generally around 15 megapixels. If you used medium format, that number would skyrocket.
2. Even digital photographers will play with their images before they print. Go to your minilab and request them to do only the negatives. This will save you a good chunk of money. Then scan and choose which images you want to go further with.
3. Digital technology, even for the best dslr's, is still in it's infancy. There are still a lot of bugs to be worked out. Memory cards are sensitive and can be more easily damaged. Computers fail and you can lose everything. Film has 150 years of developments and improvements, and cannot "crash" on you.
4. Digital, especially dslr's, is much more finnicky than even slide film. Film gives you a wider lattitude for exposure.

Always remember that film and digital are only TOOLS. They function under your command and skill. So, why not have the best of both worlds?

the OP wants to use a dSLR and a film SLR.

The op said "so now im on the fence between digital and film..." and "i was wondering if it's a good idea to jump into both mediums(film/digital) at once or better to get really familiar at one b4 trying the other"

I'd still say go with DSLR.

To me it sounds as though the op isn't sure which way to go. i suggested DSLR while others are saying trying both would be fine too and other are saying stay with film.

It's great that i'll suggest digital only, while others suggest something else - that way there are several good opinions expressed and that's the whole point of the forum.

However, i think it's important that the op is always read and interpreted correctly in order for the opinions expressed to be worthwhile :D

Thank you all for your replies.
I Think i've made my decision. I'm going to get both.. The reason being that i like the feel of film(sort of how i like to drive a standard car over an automatic) However i also want a dslr because I like using photo shop, on occasion i mite want to take pictures of sports so with a dslr i can take more shots and shoot at 3 pictures a second which will be nice.
So thanks again. The only thing left now is to go out and get the cameras and find out for myself weather it was a good idea or not to do both.

Maksym

Most reactions

Back