Computer for photo editing ... hmm, what crap comp do you got?

Yes, upgrading to SSD is really a boost. I put one in my old MacBook Pro 13 and it really zips.
I am still waiting for the SSD pricing to go down before I swap out with my new MacBook ... I need at least 500GB for my VM's.

Yes, upgrading to SSD is really a boost. I put one in my old MacBook Pro 13 and it really zips.
I am still waiting for the SSD pricing to go down before I swap out with my new MacBook ... I need at least 500GB for my VM's.
What with flash prices being what they are right now, that may be quite a while.

With a Core2 Duo, you basically have the first 64-bit processor ever used.

This isn't strictly true. AMD had x64 processors a few years before Intel and both Pentium 4 and Celeron D were 64-bit (this ignores server processors entirely).

I was really referring to the mac lineage... Core 2 Duo was the first time they (Apple) used 64-bit Intel processors. As computers become more powerful, OS & application vendors push the machine and take more for granted. It “seems” like the machine is slowing down as compared to when it was new. But when it was new, the OS & apps weren’t consuming so many resources.

I have a super micro x8sil, super micro case with super micro 500w PS, 16gb ram, sound card, pciex1 evga video card, Xeon quad core CPU. 500 GB SSD drive dual boot Linux Slackware, Windows 10, 128 gb ssd scratch drive, 2- 1 tb sas hard drives mirrored. Connected to old NAS server for backup storage. Old new stock, built last year from stuff I had laying around. I have a nice big display, HP. It's plenty fast even though the hardware is older tech. It's a server board I had for a backup for a customer.

I'm not liking this whole Meltdown/Spectre thing ... just did another update yesterday and now I have to reinstall OS because the filesystem got corrupted !!!

Sooo, 48 hrs later ... I have got it back together ... have no idea what the problem was ... no disk errors, no SATA hw issue, reinstalled OS three times ... ah, the world of computing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back