Computer Home Network

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by H0LLYW00D, Nov 2, 2007.

1. H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently have my server running through a linksys wirless router and then out to the internet and im thinking of getting a network attached storage device and am curious if anyone has or has use one of these devices and also if it is worth upgrading my network to a gigabit system at the same time?

2. gomexz

gomexz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am running a Wester Digital World book 1 TB network storage drive. It has a gigabit port and a usb port to attache a removable drive to it. I have it plugged in to a 24 port switch that is then plugged into a linksys 300N wirless router that is plugged into my cable modem.

The only gigbit port i have is on the tb itself. I have no problems with pushing lots a data to it from my wirless computers or my wired computer. It would be nice to have gigabit ports but i simply dont need it.

So, if u have the money and feel as though u will need the gigbit then go for it however unless your interernet and every thing else on the network is running gigabit your going to have bottle necks and a network is only as fast as its slowest link.

3. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I used to have a NAS device, until it broke...

When it was working, it was fantastic, but I had a ton of driver issues with it every time I introduced a new computer or reformatted. (Ximeta brand)

I am looking to buy a new one sometime soon, though...hopefully the tech has gotten better

4. H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i went to the store today and they had the D-Link DNS323 instock so i got that with two 160GB hitatchi drives so i can RAID 1 them. I'm gonna set it up when i get home.

5. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is a great resource to help you decide on a NAS:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

I use a gigabit network for all of my PC's and you can expect to double the speeds (in bursts) of your 10/100. On average, I get around 25MBps.

Also, don't forget you may need to upgrade your ethernet cables for gigabit. Atleast Cat5e, but preferably Cat6.

6. kalmkidd

kalmkidd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    my real job is computer programming and networking security so if u guys got any questions let me know..

i currently have a t3 connections with a belkin router that runs a 2port pc server, then off that i have a hub system which runs to a switch that allows me to bridge my xbox live and cheat online lol..