Mac OR Other

• Total voters

Heather Koch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

So, I think my Mac might be taking a turn for the worst, currently having issues with backing it up... Therefore I am here for some help.

It seems every time Apple releases a new product, their new update corrupts their old products to force buyers to purchase a new device... Or maybe I'm just an angry apple user... IDK

SO, my question for you all is; would do you recommend for editing, storage, speed, etc. IN a a laptop. Do I need more storage on my internal hard drive, or will I be okay buying several external hard drives for more space? Apple doesn't sell laptops with over 516gb of storage, I currently have a 1TB hard drive on my custom Macbook Pro. Should I buy another Apple? Please help, all responses are appreciated! I need all the information you guys may have knowledge on.

Thanks so much!

Because I've had my Mac crash on me (twice), I don't keep anything on either my iMac or MacBookAir. Storage is so cheap nowadays, I have tons of portable hard drives and I back-up all my photos in triplicate.

Because I've had my Mac crash on me (twice), I don't keep anything on either my iMac or MacBookAir. Storage is so cheap nowadays, I have tons of portable hard drives and I back-up all my photos in triplicate.
So, you use the iMac to edit and air for? What hard drives do you use? Do you back up weekly?

I use the iMac to edit photos. Have more than dozen different brand hard drives (around 6Tb total -- I've been shooting for a very long time), most of which I get at Costco. The MacBookAir I use mostly for email and surfing; I don't bother editing on it -- I prefer the 27-inch monitor.

And I back up pictures whenever I edit. I back up documents whenever I make changes or add.

I use the iMac to edit photos. Have more than dozen different brand hard drives (around 6Tb total -- I've been shooting for a very long time), most of which I get at Costco. The MacBookAir I use mostly for email and surfing; I don't bother editing on it -- I prefer the 27-inch monitor.
I'm thinking about getting the new/old (not newest) macbook pro with retina, the 128gb and just get some external hard drives. I wonder if that will be good for me or not... Thanks for your input!!

Apple is very limiting as to what will and won't run on it. There is a lot more support and software for the Windows OS than for any Mac OS.
I like more rather than less so I go with windows based systems. If you decide you loved Mac more, you can install Mac OS on a windows based machine just fine and boot into either one you want to for different things.
I also dislike store bought systems and since my husband showed me how easy it is to build a computer now with automated parts pickers online to find what will work and what won't, I don't see any reason to limit yourself to what someone else thinks you want.
pcpartpicker.com

Apple is very limiting as to what will and won't run on it. There is a lot more support and software for the Windows OS than for any Mac OS.
I like more rather than less so I go with windows based systems. If you decide you loved Mac more, you can install Mac OS on a windows based machine just fine and boot into either one you want to for different things.
I also dislike store bought systems and since my husband showed me how easy it is to build a computer now with automated parts pickers online to find what will work and what won't, I don't see any reason to limit yourself to what someone else thinks you want.
pcpartpicker.com
Yeah, I had my current mac pro built for me. Obviously didn't go so well as its been having problems 6 months after purchase...

Thank you for your opinion, very helpful!

If your problem is just in back ups, make sure the drive you back up to is larger than the drive you are backing up.

If your problem is just in back ups, make sure the drive you back up to is larger than the drive you are backing up.
Yes, I have 1TB on my internal and 2TB on external.

But the empty space needs to be enough, if it's a 2tb ssd but only has 200gb free space it will cause a problem.

But the empty space needs to be enough, if it's a 2tb ssd but only has 200gb free space it will cause a problem.
I currently have 560gb used on my 1TB, so that should be plenty right?

When I bought a computer for photo editing, I was completely ignorant, so I asked a guy who suggested an iMac. I really like the big 27" display, but I think if I had to begin from scratch, I might build a Windows machine. Actually, I don't know for sure what software I would use, so I'm mostly hoping that I don't have to make that choice anytime soon. I can't imagine now going to a 15-inch display for photo editing, so I probably would not get a Macbook.

When I bought a computer for photo editing, I was completely ignorant, so I asked a guy who suggested an iMac. I really like the big 27" display, but I think if I had to begin from scratch, I might build a Windows machine. Actually, I don't know for sure what software I would use, so I'm mostly hoping that I don't have to make that choice anytime soon. I can't imagine now going to a 15-inch display for photo editing, so I probably would not get a Macbook.
Yeah, im trying to weigh out my options... My computer still hasn't booted, its a sad sad day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back