Computer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by MDowdey, Apr 25, 2004.

1. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

anyone here gone through the Microsoft and/or Cisco certification programs? Im interested in getting some more info but i dont know where to begin. i looked at Microsofts website, but they just try and blow smoke up your rear..i want an objective, do this do that, opinion.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

matt dawg

2. Skyeg

Skyeg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have CCNA and MCSE. i got both through my school. what exactly are you asking? are you asking whihc ones to go for?

3. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

yeah, i mean for someone who knows about computers but wants to get the certs...whats the best way to go?

md

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

im not in the field currently.

i want to develop comprehensive security measures for a network of some type. you know....the go to guy when the S**T hits the fan.

thanks for the links!

md

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Network security is one job that is never going to be outsourced EVER and will be in demand forever. Smart hackers keeps everyone on toes.

If you are seriously in to this, I would recommend that you go deep in to Wireless Networking/security. We are going to face this time where we take wireless networking for granted. And its a very vulnerable area!!

I have friends who has tons of MCSE, MCP, CCNA, CCNP, CNA and all the certs that you could name. But I think would be nice if you could narrow down to one and focus on it!

Certificates are nothing other than mere papers that would open doors for you for employment (not at this moment though). It does not necessarily makes you a skilled guy. Skill only comes from experience. Cisco is tought, but good.

I have a friend in Florida who has the top most certificate in CISCO but is out of job for several months. This is just a temp phase.
    What are planning to look for? An employment in the area?

All the very best!

PS: I shall fill in more when I think of more! :)

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

sure, id like to make some phat cash, but more importantly, i want to have some element of finality in my life. i want to say that i completed something. so i dont have to hear about others getting these great comp jobs while im working for chump change at the bank.

md

8. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me point down what I gather from what you said:

1. you want to make good greens
    2. you want to prove them that you are something

In that case, why don't you derive money and pleasure from what you LIKE to do?

Forget about proving something to ppl. They will know your mettle, once you become a pro in what you do. Just dream big. And this is one of the best countries in the world to acheive your dreams.

Don't go for networking, because your neighbor is a CCNA and he drives a swanky automobile. This is your career; your life we're talking about. You should do whatever that makes you happy. You should do something that you would look forward to do each day.
    IF you think you'd flourish in the field of networking, by any means, please run after your goal. But my point is, the motivation should not be your neighbor's car. Car(s), boats, houses, and whatever makes you happy will follow you when you are in a scenario where you are the best at what you do and you have the capability to dream big and have the relentless passion and vigor to achieve your goals.

I dont want to bore you to death!! :)

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is not a job to get into if you like your free time. And then there are the new overtime rules, which look to hurt people in IT even more.

Not to discourage you, but this should be something you at least find interesting if you are going to survive without burning out. The pressure can be pretty intense just in supporting a network infrastructure. Nothing like going in to the office at 11pm Sunday evening to nurse a sick router back to health, knowing that there will be Hell to pay if you don't get it up and running again before the morning shift starts. When you make security your focus, that gets multiplied.

It is extremely fun if you get into that kind of stuff. All of the guys I know who are really good at it have a large degree of self-teaching involved, even if they have degrees or certs. The tech involved in the field changes so quickly you have to be able to keep yourself up to date on an ongoing basis.

Do you have much comp experience?

10. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

i should have been more specific. yes i do love working with computers, i have been meddling for awhile now.

the money will come but my top concern is doing something technical in nature.

i just wanted to explore my options.

md

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can deal with the on-call crap, then it sounds like something you would enjoy exploring. Not everyone in the field has to deal with that, but if you are the "go to" guy, you certainly will. Some people just set the things up and let others deal with the emergencies.

12. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its true about the self-teaching part and the regular updating. You cant be like "I did my CCNA in 1994, and do you have a vacancy?" :)

Since you are thinking of various options, to get the ball rolling, I would suggest you to rent a book (might might want to start with basic networking) from your library, and go thru it. Get a feel of it. (I shall try to get some names later on) And take it from there. IF you are tech saavy, which I assume you are; do not think of joining a computer school. You could do the learning at home. For your doubts and queries there are umpteen number of tech forums in whichever field you want. But no matter what, do not ever join a computer institute here. The fees are atrociously high and its the same/less thing that you get when you are self-taught!! I am from India and trust me, I know the difference.

Could you elaborate on the term 'meddling'?
    What in computers that turns you on?
    -Do you like to be the end user (playing with cool software like Photoshop, Maya and the likes, or do you like the idea of ppl playing with the program that you created? (programming)
    -Do you like the thrill of being in control of ALL the computers in the company, enjoying the power of the administrator where you could sneak in to anyone's account? :) (networking)
    -Which is the latest movie that you saw relating to the computer field?:) No offence, but just trying to narrow down to what we really need now.

Networking/security might sound fancy, but it sure is nerve wrecking! This is NOT to discourage you. In a real corporate environment, you will have to deal with a lot of pressures, spams(its not about the simple 20 junk mails that we get in our mailbox daily), potential top-notch hackers and 'untechy' people.
    But if you love it, its the best place to be. You would love the 'being in supreme control' position!

Dont buy any books at this point. Buying is expensive. And dont do that until you have zeroed in on your niche.