computers

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing all my photo work on a small 12 inch laptop. We are getting a new computer...cost doesn't matter but it has to be a dell. What type of monitor would be best for photos? I have already noticed this one isn't 100%true with colors...is there a type that is best for photo work? Is there a type of dell computer that is best for photo work?

For accurate photo work, you really need to calibrate your monitor with a calibration device like the Spyder from Colorvision.

You can calibrate LCD screens...but I've found that it's still a bit of a cr@p shoot because of how the screen looks different, depending on what angle you are looking at it.

There are higher quality monitors that are more expensive. I haven't done the research so I can't recommend anything specific.

Get a calibration tool and a monitor that allows fine tuning of the colors RGB. A lot of your basic ones only have tweaking of the brightness & contrast.

I prefer CRT over LCD for viewing photos with their excellent contrast ratios and color performance but they are of course very bulky.

Get the biggest monitor with the highest resolution that you can reasonably afford. I just got a 24" iMac that's 1920 x 1200 and that was a huge upgrade from my previous 20" 1400 x 1050 FP. Look for a higher contrast ratio, and then I'd look into some of the color calibration tools out there that will physically analyze the colors your screen puts out and then calibrate it based on that. Mac has color calibration tools built into the OS which is one of the beauties of Mac OS if you're into photography, so it's a bummer you're stuck with Dell. Employee/affiliate discount? :)

discount = free. My husband gets an account at work to buy things like professional memberships, travel to confrences and home/work computers laptops etc. With the 2 kids, he isnt going to alot of confrences so he is going to get some nice high end replacment computers. They have to be with dell because they have a contract. He *could* get a mac, but it would be a process, and it wouldnt be compatable with everyone else at work. One of his partners is a mac-addict...he is kind of jerky about it.

So he is letting me pick the home comp. I dont think money is an issue, just that it has to be a dell

Calibration tools are a must. CRT's are still the best option because they are technically a better monitor...they are just big as heck. You should be able to get by with a LCD though. I have a 24'' Dell Ultrasharp and I love it. They also have 27'' and 30'' (although they don't update the 30'' as much as they do the 24'' and 27'', so you're getting older tech with the 30'' right now, I think yr 2005 vs yr 2007). I have no problem recommending Dell's LCD's for photographic purposes. I read a review online about different monitors and how true they display images, and Dell was pretty dang good after calibration.

Well don't forget to max out the RAM. At least 2GB but 4 would be better. That will really help with large image files etc.

yeah, lots of RAM. I have 8gigs...boy does photoshop pretty much instantly render stuff...quad core processor helps a bit there too.

discount = free. My husband gets an account at work to buy things like professional memberships, travel to confrences and home/work computers laptops etc.
wow nice! Definitely get a Quad core somethingorother and a ton of RAM. DxO + 4 cores = HOT! :mrgreen:

Everyone's computers on this forum always amaze me. I use photoshop on an old amd 2800+ with 512 mb of ram on it. Sure it runs pretty slow but it gets the job done. (and yes i mean cs3)

hummmm....these terms are a little bit over my head now :p

ok basically, when it comes to computers, get the best one you possible can :p. Dell XPS computers are really good. very high end gaming machines.

High end and Dell do not belong in the same sentence. Not to say that Dell's best stuff is complete garbage or anything, but I definitely wouldn't call it high end.

I'm not a laptop user though, really don't have a clue when it comes to laptops. For desktops though, no one will ever beat you selecting your own components and building yourself.

If you go with Dell, HP, or any other "off-the-shelft" prebuilt unit, you are getting inferior components to what you can get for cheaper yourself. Though, I'm not sure if you can self-build laptops like you can desktops.

I also have a discount with Dell. My work supplies packaging for Dell. My discount is that I pay $30 MORE than you can purchase straight off their website. Yes, I said MORE for a discount. Wonderful discount. Found that out when I was purchasing my computer 3 years ago. Instead of either buying the Dell for ~$900, or ~$930 using my discount code, I bought a Compaq at Best Buy with more and better specifications than the Dell for ~$500.

Dell can kiss my you-know-what with their false marketing claims of being the cheapest and #1 customer satisfaction ratings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back