concert photography

ShelleySnapz

Photographer for hire!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok so a friend of mine asks me to shoot his concert...I say sure I will! Ive never done concert photoraphy before! :confused: Ive been reading up on it a bit and looking at photos and asking what apertures etc to use etc...
Now I realizze that t his is in a clup..dimly lit and all, Im not sure what kind of lights they will ave of their own but I know that I will be able to get some really good backlit shots if I am lucky.
What would you suggest I use for aperture setting and shutter speed?

It really depends. Bring all your equipment. If it's inside, count on using flash definitely. Outside, depends on time of day. If they have stage lights that'll be an added help, but most likely not enough lighting unless you're shooting a really fast film/ISO.

Check your cameras flash sync speed and set it there. Or set your shutter speed lower (1/15, 1/ 8 )and do some handheld shots to get some streaking color motion, if there are stage lights.
Get close when shooting. Most important. Get close.

But all really depends what you're going for. :thumbup:

your 50mm is ideal for concerts as long as you are close enough to the stage.

I photographed a dance competition a while ago under some terrible lighting - the guy running it basically used the same thing over and over for each dance which involved a hell of a lot of red light so most of the pics came out awful.

it takes practice to learn how to use the light you've got to your advantage. flash is OK sometimes but you often lose the atmospheric feeling you get with multi coloured lights...

Thanks! I do have the 580EX flash unit...but I rarely use flash...Im partial to naturallight...I havent really had enough opportunities to take photos with it yet...I think my best bet would be shots of my kids running around a semi light room! LOL

I'd bring your 50mm and 18-55mm. It'll be hard to get any crisp shots if it's inside without using your flash. Try bouncing flash to save the affect of any colored stage lights.

with your 50mm 1.8 and ISO 1600, you should be able to get plenty of light for at least 1/90th shutter speeds which will mean no bluring hopefully. obviously try bracing yourself against a railing or something if you can.

Most reactions

Back