Concert photography

StefaninLA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody have any input, critique on this one. Concert photography is a favorite of mine for local bands, and bigger bands when given opportunity. Very challenging shooting in very low light, shifting light every second and moving targets.

This is Tracii Guns, original guitar player for Guns & Roses tearing it up at The Whiskey in Hollywood CA last night.
rsz_tra.jpg

They're coming to Detroit soon. Well done considering light challenges. Not sure how much better it can get and how close you are. If your close, try different lens for different effects. If I am close enough, I would use my 85mm 1.8g prime.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Overall ... fair to Midland. My nits are: Too much air on top. (I know you're going for the added drama of the light ... but all that air negates the additional drama of the light.) Next time change the angle to get the dramatic lighting closer to the subject. f this was my image, I'f crop it tighter, like just below the guitar and maybe at the top of the upper point of the big star. The guitar seems to be sharper than the face ... generally you need to focus on the face/eyes. I'd hit the face with the Dodge tool set to Highlights and Burn in some of the background for more pop on the subject and to camouflage some of the shadow noise. Hit the guitar a smidgen also with the Burn tool. I know that stage/theatrical lighting is always odd and tough on color balance ... but, (the big but), the hands look too yellow and the face too red.

I think the soft face is the biggest nit I have.

Thanks guys.

You are right Gary, I always try to focus on the eyes, but when mowing around a lot, that often becomes a mid body focus at best. I am going to work on dodge/burn etc to see how i can mix it up in post

Most reactions

New Topics

Back