Concert photography

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some pictures at a concert and there are two of interest...

My favourite from the night was this - only the third one I snapped that night!:

206762401_429f23bf01.jpg

But of all the pictures, the one that everyone seems to love is this:

206758499_25f4c2a5f0.jpg

Which is one I upped the colour saturation with in Photoshop.

So what is it about this that makes it so popular (relatively!)? Anyway, critiques on either would be great too...

i like these shots,

#1 is good but i have to say i like #2 the best, i just says live music to me

I like 2 better than one, tho it is noticably less clear of an image. I think I might correct the 'thirds' on number one to bring the musican's eyes more in line with the upper 3rd.

Aside from that, I love the color saturation on these types of images, especailly considering it matches the musicians look so well.

I think in the first one... the two spot lights and the guitar head coming into the frame from the right side take away from the shot. I know when I saw it I looked at his face... then traveled around the shot looking at the other things I mentioned. I think some cropping could make that a very strong shot though.

The 2nd is good... I wouldn't mess with it. :wink: Seems to have a bit of grain/noise which I think adds to the rawness of the shot. Very cool.

Defintaly like number 2. Mind linking to the original so I can check out the exif? Trying to learn to take better theater/concert photographs.

JDP said:
Defintaly like number 2. Mind linking to the original so I can check out the exif? Trying to learn to take better theater/concert photographs.

Not sure why, but I've lost the exif info for this.

But I remember I shot this with a 50mm lens on Aperture priority with the aperture at 1.8 and ISO on 1600. The shutter speed would have been automatic. I shot in RAW and used partial metering (so the lights wouldn't under-expose the subject).

Thanks for all your comments... I really hate cropping images. I'd rather just work on getting the composition right in the first place and I feel cropping later on is an admission that I messed up in the first place! But I will have a look at cropping that first picture as rmh159 suggested to see how it looks (but I'll probably just see a horrible shaped frame and delete my effort).

Hahaha... it's not the means it's the rusults. :lol:

I just looked at these shots and had another idea right away that no one else commented on and it's that in the first shot you barely see the guitar players hands.

I'd be curious to see what others think of this point but the hands could be a considerable focal point, considering the subject, and also contribute to why people don't connect to the first shot. I would think the 3 focal points in these types of shots would be the person, guitar and hands.

Just another random idea. The sytle of the shots is awesome though... there's just one or two small details from really having some amazing shots.

Most reactions

Back