Concert Photopraphy

Redsand187

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to a concert next month in Seattle. One of the guest performers happens to be one of my all time idols... Jerry Cantrell.

So I was thinking maybe I should tote my camera along and try to get a couple of priceless shots of him. Only problem... I've never done this kind of work before.

The concert is The Hendrix Experience featuring Buddy Guy, and a handfull of other great performers. It is being held in Seattle's Paramount Theater. Which is an, about 3000 person theater. My seats are 20 rows back nearly dead center on the main floor. Obviously no flash is allowed.

My lens aren't ideal. I was thinking probably just bringing my 70-300 Tech-10. I figure that would give me some distance.

So my main questions are, what speed film should I use? 800? 1600?
What shutter speed should a I use? I'm thinking 1/30-1/45. I'm assuming I set speed priority, and let the camera adjust the apperature it's self.

What are some tips for a good picture?
Thanks Everyone!

Im always asking these questions here myself!

However, I have taken lots of concert photography.
You wouldnt want the flash anyway, as it will only show up the backs of people's heads in front. There *should* be enough lighting from the stage from that far back.
Yeah, I wouldnt take any big lens' along. Security would get a bit narky about that.

Generally 800 speed film is good enough.
As far as the speed goes, you'll have to wait till one of these pros around here comes along. Im never sure myself.

Good luck and come and show us the results when you return!

I love shooting bands and have done quite a bit of it in black&white. I've offered to shoot bands in the Twin Cities and a few have asked me to get some color shots of their shows. Yikes....color! Not my favorite, but I'll give it a shot.

Can anyone provide any guidance on what I might need to know or do for color correction? I assume that the light sources and light shows that a typical band will have might require some kind of filtration with most color films?

???

????

?????????

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

-Fekhten

wowie zowie, The Hendrix Experience....should be a killer show!!

The zoom lens is probably a good choice. Personally I can't go much past 1/45 without some camera shake so yes, faster film will help. 1600 gets a little grainy so keep that in mind. Manda's probably right about 800 speed, but you could maybe use something like 400 and push it to get clearer results. ?? Just a thought. And bracket the crap out of everything you shoot, if your camera has an auto bracket feature this would be a good time to put it to use.

Have fun and I hope you post the results here too?

"Are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced?"

Mirarchi´s tutorial is a great one. B/W films work better w stage lights but if you want color... i´d try two ways to get the thing:

first - shoot w aperture priority wide open. you´ll find that shutter speed isn´t fast enought to freeze motion in most of the shots, but it will be fine to take a right exposure.

second - shooting w shutter priority at 1/30 if the artist doens´t moves too much may freeze the take, but you run on risk to find a subexposure

Taking w you both b/w and color film you´ll be able to compare results.

My favs ones to shoot at concerts are

Kodak Royal Supra 800
Fuji Superia 800
Fuji Neopan 1600 (b/n)

About color correction... why? stage lights give the picture the special atmosphere surrounding concerts

Most reactions

New Topics

Back