concert photos?

leMotJuste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. I have two cameras--a Canon Rebel EOS (or something like that; it's my beater camera) and a Sigma SA-5. (Both are film SLRs.) My boyfriend became the lead singer of a band a while back and recently his bandmates found out that I'm an avid photographer. So now besides just being their merch girl, I've been conscripted as their photographer as well.

Just wondering what sort of film, f-stop, etc. you'd recommend for taking concert-type photos. I can get as close to (or actually on) the stage as I want, but I'm still dealing with low light, spotlights, and five hyperactive guys. Though it's exciting, I have no clue how to actually go about this; my specialty is bright sunlight.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Go for a combination of a high-speed film and a fast prime lens, just for starters. Since you can get up close you needn't worry about getting jostled by the crowd while stuck in the back of the room - that's a blessing. ;) Try B&W as well as color, too; they might really dig it.

Take several rolls and shoot your heart out. You're sure to snag a few good ones from it. You might benefit from going with them to the practice space and testing a roll there (typically those are low-light conditions, too), which might give you more security before a real show.

Relax and have fun! And don't forget the drummer! (That's my own inside joke; ours gets left out too often.) :lol:

I'm doing the same thing at the moment.... taking band photos and it's tough! why can't they just sit still! hehehe.

The biggest thing I did that helped me, was to go to their practise room and take lots of photos there first.
This helped in a few ways. Got me used to the low lighting (like you I'm a full sun person!), gave me some pose ideas, and it also got the band used to me scurring around with the camera.

Remember some people don't like, or aren't used to having their photo taken, so I found this got them more used to me, and now they don't pay any attention to me. (except when my shutter goes off when they're recording d'oh)

Try a fast film ... at least ISO 400, but try 800 or more! They'll probably love the grain too!!

My biggest problem is coming up with interesting composition. I mean how many different ways can you photograph a band? hehe.. I know there's heaps but it's hard being creative.
I've got a couple on my deviant art website that you could look at to get a few ideas if you like. Mine have been heavily photoshopped though.

terri said:
Relax and have fun! And don't forget the drummer! (That's my own inside joke; ours gets left out too often.) :lol:

The drummer is actually the one who's the most excited about it. He's already got ideas for artistic ways for me to shoot him. LOL

Most reactions

Back