Concert pictures

enzodm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saturday night some friends celebrated the publishing of a CD with a concert, so I took some picture (for myself, they had their official photographer). No flash, 150mm ISO3200 f/2.8 always, with shutter speeds around or slightly below the safe limit. Lighting, coloured, was mostly on the singer (was her CD), so I also took pictures of musicians but in even more difficult conditions. I think some picture may confirm a tendence of front focus at max focal length of my Sigma 50-150/2.8.
The ones I prefer are here.

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801-2.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

Photo-wise they are not bad. But they are pretty dead. Very little excitement in them. And, unfortunately, that's how a lot of things die:

lack of excitment.

By the way, R'n'R is a lot easier than most other musics. Hair flying, pretty gelled lights, sweat, blood and tears, and all that good crap.

But I've shot very few concerts in my life because I could not figure out how to translate a 3-d thing (a concert) into a 2d thing. And to be be honest, concerts are more like 4-d to me. At least, good ones. The fourth d being the emotion, and that fourth one is very difficult to translate into an image.

Thank you all, including the deadly comments by Cloudwalker ;) . I might agree more or less: it's difficult to take a good picture of a concert. However, if I took r'n'r style pictures of this concert, it would be fake: this was a quiet, jazz-ethno-pop evening.
On the emotion question, maybe is difficult to translate emotion given by music into an image, but in general (well done) pictures convey emotion too. How to do it, let's learn :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back