Concerts & Stuff

eventproducer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all

A little help if you can. I am running a Nikon D50 but also have regular use of other more 'powerful' equipment, having cut my teeth as a film Nikon user.

My problem is that as an event producer I stage a lot of events. Each and every time I try to shoot the events, the acts or artists on stage - being lit by follow spots and the like - get totally washed-out. It strikes me as though the digital cameras of today simply can't handle the range of contrast involved in shooting a live event.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or warning to help me out?

Your assistance would be VERY welcome

Many thanks

Jon

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's true. Digital sensors still don't have the exposure latitude of negative film. It's closer to the latitude of slide film.

I don't know your level of photography knowledge...but could it be your metering technique that is causing problems? The camera, on it's own, will try to expose for the scene (with respect to which metering mode is set)...to an average exposure. If you have lots of dark areas...and some very brightly lit areas...the average of that is muddy darks and overexposed highlights. To compensate for this...you might need to dial in negative exposure compensation...which may cause you to lose some shadow detail...but should prevent the artists from being blown out.

Hi chief - thanks for the welcome and also the advice

I have indeed tried pretty-much all types of exposure - spot, centre-weight etc and have also attempted tight metering, averaged etc. There just doesn't seemt be one that is right without having some kind of negative impact on the rest of the image

I am REALLY starting to wonder whether I go and do what my heart tells me - which is to get my hands on an original Nikon F3 (or even an Olympus OM10 which i always fancied) and leave it to the boffins to fart about trying to get properly exposed digital images

My added complication is that during one of my shows I am usually wearing two sets of headphones to keep contro of the crew (don't ask how), am having to ensure the smooth running of the show as well, so taking shots HAS to come third in order of importance, and so far I have missed some really good stuff this year.

Jon

Yes, I'd imagine that worrying about metering, during the show...is barely on your radar. I guess it depends on how consistent the lighting is...but if you could find a good exposure level...that works for a lot of the lighting...then you could just leave the camera in manual. Then all you need to do...is to focus, compose and shoot.

Also, if you are not doing so already...shoot in RAW. It will give you the most flexibility with your exposure/light temperature etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back