Confused....A little help please?

mutantseabass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am definately new to the camera hobby. I breed and raise tropical/salt fish for the trade and as a hobby. I am looking to get an DSLR camera to capture some nice shots of my fish and their unique coloration. Im sure it may seem easy to you that have been in the hobby but for me its a chore to get a few nice shots. My question is which of the DSLRs would be good for close range, motion(the fish are never still) shots to bring out the vibrant colors? I have talked to numerous people and most have suggested the Nikon D40 but I have read quite a few great reviews about the Canon DLSRs. The only other pictures that would be shot with the camera would be family and the occasional vacation. I will say I do enjoy learning new things and the photography hobby is definately new to me and from the looks of the posts through out the forum definately very vast. Thank you in advance for any knowledge you could pass my way.

its not really about the body itself but what lens you actually use.

its not really about the body itself but what lens you actually use.

Yes, for this type of shooting, the lens will probably be the most important factor. However, some fish are apparently very sensitive to light and therefore must be kept in low light and do not tolerate flash. Even with a fast lens (whichever brand you choose, an inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 should probably be your lens of choice- Nikon's is about $120, while Canon's is under $100), you may need to bump your ISO up to get fast enough shutter speeds to freeze fast-moving fish. If low light is something you're going to be dealing with, spending a little more for something like a D90 might produce much more satisfying results. I am amazed by the high ISO performance of that camera for the price- technology really has come a long way in that respect. My D200, a professional body released something like three short years ago, gets completely destroyed in this respect.

As for Canon vs. Nikon, everyone has an opinion, but the truth is both make many excellent camera models. However, no camera is perfect, and especially at the lower price points, some features are always sacrificed in favor of others. At he price point you choose, compare the pros and cons of each model and see who offers the features you think you need while skimping on the ones you don't think are as important. DPReview and DCResource are my review sites of choice. DPReview is definitely more in-depth with their testing, but when I was choosing my first camera, I found DCResource reviews less intimidating and easier for me to understand with my limited camera knowledge.

Anyone who tells you one brand is definitively better than another is lying to you no matter what they say. If this were true, there would only be one brand.

I think knowing your budget would makes things easier although you probably only need entry level if its just fish you are shooting. I would suggest a 90 or 100mm macro for a lens. It will allow you to get up nice and close and focus on the details of your fish. Even a refurbed body would be ok if your budget is tight. Many options really.

I will second the macro lens suggestion. If all you want to do is shoot pics of the fish, get an entry level Canon Rebel XS and a Sigma or Canon macro lens. Lighting will depend on your needs. i.e. flash or whatever

Most reactions

Back