Confused.. Please advise..

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bullshark, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Kinda new to all this and there are SOO many lenses with different types of glass and all this.. Please help me out here.. I have a Nikon D80 with the kit 135mm lens. I'm looking for a few others.. I would like a macro lens, and a longer zoom lens. I'm thinking 70-300mm.. A very wide angle would be nice, but I think it can wait until last, unless I can afford it now.. I have a few questions before I buy..

1. Sigma vs Nikkor.. which is best bang for the buck? I don't have a million dollars to be spending on lenses, but if there is a noticeable difference then I will wait and buy the more expensive one.

2. Used lenses.. Reccomended? They are cheaper, but is it worth it?

3. Refurbished lenses? Also cheaper, but worth it?

4. Any reccomendations? I want AutoFocus (I'm assuming on both? Right?), and Anti-Vibe on the 300mm.

5. Should I wait on the SuperWide angle? Which one should I look at? 10mm? 12mm? Sigma? Nikkor?

What about the different types of glass? I even saw an ISO rating on a few lenses, does this mean they work with that ISO only? Even when the camera has selectable ISO's?

So many questions, so many lenses.. Make sense of it please.. Thanks in advance!

2. You're putting the horse before the cart. Lenses are tools. What are you trying to shoot? A long zoom and a wide angle both fit on your camera and can be used to shoot pictures, but that's about all they have in common. I don't mean to be a killjoy, I also suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) but you need to stop and think: what are you shooting? Then get the best tool for that. You can't go out and get the tool, hoping to learn how to use it by owning it.

Get a 50mm lens. Learn how to use it. Limitations are fun. If you need to get wider... then you step backward.

Believe me, you will be an infinitely better photographer if you buy a prime lens, shoot with it for a while, and then augment your tool kit when you know what you want... wider, closer, faster, VR... all of those are used for different things.

3. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    HAHA, "GAS".. I didnt know there was a name for what we have.. lol.. Anyway... Thanks for the good advice, that thought came to my mind as well.. My problem is I kinda shoot everything now. Its a beginning hobby, and maybe will develop into more.. I'm without a niche at the moment and enjoy it all.. I LOVE shooting wildlife and already I have found myself reaching for a longer lens due to missed shots or being too far away.. I also love shooting photojournalist type shots which my current lens is fine for but I'm lacking the "creative eye" that comes with experience. On the other hand, seeing things through a macro eye is interesting as well and requires diff technique. I also love shooting action shots, which are shot from a distance (motorcycle racing, football, horse jumping)..

I'm homeless is the world of photography.. What do you propose? Stick with my current lens? Buy a lens that will cover everything? Buy a fixed focus lens and work withing its constraints? Thanks again!

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon Sigma Tamron are brands. Are Ford better then GM? The answer is it depends entirely on which model you buy. Both companies have some mighty fine lenses, both companies also produce quite a lot of crap. www.photozone.de will give you a starting point to sort the one from the other.

I am all for the second hand lens market. I often tell people to avoid Nikon D40 because they may one day want a second hand lens they can autofocus with. I bought a second hand 105mm AF D Micro Nikkor for $500AU locally whereas the new 105mm AF-S Micro Nikkor costs $1800AU. Quality is very similar on both.

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes.

:lol:

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    **** stirrer :wink:

7. Well, sounds like a long lens might be a nice way to start. You like wildlife as well as action and sports, so go that route. Also look at th 50mm f/1.8 for street and people photography.