Confused

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by platano, Nov 13, 2008.

1. platano

platano TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ok here is my deal I really want the D700 and the wife wants to buy it for me but I feel really bad her spending all that money for me for X-mas. Should I just tell her to get me a D300 instead since its a $1000 dollar difference? Is the D300 Technology that far behind from the D700?? just some quick advice would do. Thanks.

2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The main difference is the size of the sensor. The D300 has an APS-c sized sensor and the D700 is full frame.

3. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    maybe go halfsies on the D700?

4. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

Well, show me the performance of a D300 at ISO 5,000 vs. a D700 at ISO 5,000. I shoot in higher ISOs quite a bit with my D3 (same sensor as D700) - with long lenses to zoom in at sunset, it is REALLY nice being able to keep my shutter speed up and use ISO 5,000 - and still be able to blow it up to a 30x40 easily.

I personally think it is worth every penny to go to the better sensor. It's so nice to not have to worry as much about lighting conditions anymore... If I need to capture something, the ability to shoot at those higher ISOs is just incredible. If you can swing the extra money, it is well worth it. I would never buy a D300 with the new sensors out.

5. platano

platano TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Alright guys thanks for the info. D700 it is, I guess I could go half with her :D that way i wont feel so bad. :p

6. maxalmon

maxalmon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just went thru this exact same dilemma and it took me seeral weeks to justify the price difference, I finally ended up with the D700. I went from the D40 to the D700, I also considered the D300 as well. The full sensor and iso are what swayed me over. I do a lot of marine macro photography and have to enlarge a lot of lowlight images...Love the camera, love it, love it

Don't get caught in the online scams over pricing, stick with the reputable sites, good pricing for the 700 body is low of $2425 to an average of $2550 with my local stores selling them for $3500. < might be why the boxes were dusty...

Anything lower than $2500 is grey market or a scam