Confused

I think the point being made by the moderators is that this area of TPF is not a level playing field with regards to the rest of TPF. Pixmedic pretty much laid it all out.

I'm sure you'll be treated equitably here, in the "Aspiring Pros" section. Elsewhere, though, it's been made pretty clear that different rules apply.

As for you taking exception to the comment about you "bashing lesser beings", frankly, Terri's comment was warranted.

When I saw this forum, I knew what was going to happen. I've a long history here of having a problem with people who demean, deride and prove to be unhelpful, and I've often been called on the carpet for my comments regarding that. When I saw the rules for this particular area, I knew it wouldn't take long before someone ran afoul of those rules.

Belittling people who are trying to get started accomplishes nothing, and I applaud the mods for making special considerations...

Well put Steve, thank-you!

This is exactly right. This forum was created specifically to provide an area for those who have recently started or are thinking of starting a business to ask all of those questions that to some seasoned veterans may seem stupid or pointless, but........ if you think back, are they all so far wrong from the questions you had when you started? Probably not! You can still give honest, and straight-forward answers to questions in here, but keep them helpful and respectful!

Trouble is it looks like most of the posters have just bought their cameras and come here instead of beginners forum, i think people are going to get fed up of answering stupid questions that an aspiring pro should know

the solution is simple. Don't answer any questions you do not want to. Don't respond to any posts that you feel you have seen too many times before. If you really want to avoid the whole situation, we have made it very simple for you....we have wrangled all of the annoying posts you dont want to deal with anymore into one easy to find area, so just avoid this particular forum section all together. anyone and everyone that does not want to deal with "questions that aspiring pros should already know the answer to" are more than welcome to just not answer them. problem solved!

This is exactly right. This forum was created specifically to provide an area for those who have recently started or are thinking of starting a business to ask all of those questions that to some seasoned veterans may seem stupid or pointless, but........ if you think back, are they all so far wrong from the questions you had when you started? Probably not! You can still give honest, and straight-forward answers to questions in here, but keep them helpful and respectful!

Trouble is it looks like most of the posters have just bought their cameras and come here instead of beginners forum, i think people are going to get fed up of answering stupid questions that an aspiring pro should know

the solution is simple. Don't answer any questions you do not want to. Don't respond to any posts that you feel you have seen too many times before. If you really want to avoid the whole situation, we have made it very simple for you....we have wrangled all of the annoying posts you dont want to deal with anymore into one easy to find area, so just avoid this particular forum section all together. anyone and everyone that does not want to deal with "questions that aspiring pros should already know the answer to" are more than welcome to just not answer them. problem solved!
Additionally, remember that "aspiring professional" can easily be someone who literally bought their first camera last week and has decided they want to shoot the next swimsuit cover for SI - at this point all they know is that they think they want to do this...

Additionally, remember that "aspiring professional" can easily be someone who literally bought their first camera last week and has decided they want to shoot the next swimsuit cover for SI - at this point all they know is that they think they want to do this...

Not a bad goal!

LOL!!
Thank you guys for an entertaining, yet annoying, 21 out of 47 comments about how this forum should run...
For those who gave advice, much appreciated. For those who backed me up to the bashers, thank you. For those who bashed me a bit... thank you, but I am woman, I bend, I do not break. :wink:
Anyone who feels they need to belittle another for any reason (not saying this happened here), clearly has either small-man-syndrome or suffers from the classic psychological case of projection. It's ok though. I forgive you.

I will now proceed to give replies to a few of my 'followers' (hahaha)

I do know how my camera works. I might not know it as a professional would, where all the settings used come to mind in a fraction of a second, as you pros do, but i know how it works. I know how to drive a car and when my driving skills are good or bad... that doesn't mean I'm a racing driver or a mechanic. I never said I was a professional.
Yes I do charge. I live in a country that is 34 x 11 miles... tiny armpit of hell... but this is where I am... we do not have lawyers contracts for photogs etc in order to charge to take photos. Unless I'm doing corporate jobs, which I don't, we don't need to have a registered company even. This is a country where pretty much anything goes. This is not USA. So payment is purely 'appreciation payment'. There are professional photographers here of course, but who charge $3000 and up for weddings. Not everyone has that kind of money lying around. And if someone offers to pay me $100 here or $200 there, why on earth would I say no. I have told every one of my clients that I am an amateur. They choose me nonetheless, because of my 'portfolio'. They could easily choose the 'professionals' or the 'cheapest', but they don't - they choose me.

That said, this initial message was written in the beginners section, and was moved to the 'aspiring photog' section by the site. I class myself as a beginner with a good eye and a dream to become the best, as mentioned in my very first line.

I still like the idea of a 2nd body at a job, but after more thought, it would rather be to have a different lens on. Say having a wide angle on one body and a zoom lens on the other.

You said you aren't sure about calculating DOF quickly. The smaller the number (ex. F2.8 )the less in focus and the more open the lens is. The bigger the number (ex. F11) the more in focus and the more close the lens is.
I am happy to let you know that I know what DOF is and how it works, but in terms of Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster..., I was wondering if the 'pros' actually use this, or have it memorised or just wing it...

All in all, I know I need to practise a lot more. Without saying it directly, professionals have practised so much and done it for so long that the settings needed for any respective shot, are almost innate. It might take me a long time to become as professional with my image taking as some of you out there, but I am trying. And I will keep on trying, on my own, and hopefully with the full support, critical responses or not, from this site.

Thank again guys.
Claire

Anyone is welcome to pm me with their advice or even bashing... I'm a big girl now... but keep it clean for public viewing.

I think the point being made by the moderators is that this area of TPF is not a level playing field with regards to the rest of TPF. Pixmedic pretty much laid it all out.

I'm sure you'll be treated equitably here, in the "Aspiring Pros" section. Elsewhere, though, it's been made pretty clear that different rules apply.

As for you taking exception to the comment about you "bashing lesser beings", frankly, Terri's comment was warranted.

When I saw this forum, I knew what was going to happen. I've a long history here of having a problem with people who demean, deride and prove to be unhelpful, and I've often been called on the carpet for my comments regarding that. When I saw the rules for this particular area, I knew it wouldn't take long before someone ran afoul of those rules.

Belittling people who are trying to get started accomplishes nothing, and I applaud the mods for making special considerations...

For a moment, let's assume that's exactly what happens.

Do you lack the self control to simply walk away?

LOL!! This is a country where pretty much anything goes... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around.

Really?

Because, when I was in Bahrain in '91, everyone there pretty much did have that kind of money lying around...

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
LOL!! This is a country where pretty much anything goes... Not everyone has that kind of money lying around.

Really?

Because, when I was in Bahrain in '91, everyone their pretty much did have that kind of money lying around...

:mrgreen:

hehe... glad to hear someone knows where this place is.
A lot has changed in 22 years. Economic crisis and political unrest being the latest...
But it's mostly the well-to-do arabs from neighbouring states who have the most dosh to spend. Here, more average families are on wages of around $1500 a month. Even a $500 photoshoot for your daughters wedding isn't always on the budget, when you could get some guy from the local photolab to do it for $50.
As for me. fingers crossed, 'ensh'allah' as they say, I'll be assisting one of Bahrain's top photogs in Saudi very soon, and learn through her. That's where the unreal amounts of money are... :hail:

DoF can be managed in a couple of ways:

- experience. If you're doing roughly the same shots much of the time, you should learn what apertures to use.
- calculation. If you're doing shots which permit a lot of setup time (landscapes, product photos) you can use a depth of field calculator to get it right. [*]
- looking. You can use liveview on your camera to inspect the actual depth of field (well, MY camera stops down when I do a live view, anyways)

or some combination of the three.

[*] Note that using a calculator is actually a bit fraught with danger, since to actually get it right you need to know how large you're going to print, how much cropping you're planning to do, and what sort of viewing distance the viewers will be seeing the picture from. These tools will trick you by giving you super-precise answers, leading you to think you're Really On Top Of It. In reality you should use them either to experiment and get a rough handle on how DoF is going to work, OR you should use them with great care, learn about circle-of-confusion and its uses, and compute your DoF from that.

LOL!!
Thank you guys for an entertaining, yet annoying, 21 out of 47 comments about how this forum should run...
For those who gave advice, much appreciated. For those who backed me up to the bashers, thank you. For those who bashed me a bit... thank you, but I am woman, I bend, I do not break. :wink:
Anyone who feels they need to belittle another for any reason (not saying this happened here), clearly has either small-man-syndrome or suffers from the classic psychological case of projection. It's ok though. I forgive you.

I will now proceed to give replies to a few of my 'followers' (hahaha)

I do know how my camera works. I might not know it as a professional would, where all the settings used come to mind in a fraction of a second, as you pros do, but i know how it works. I know how to drive a car and when my driving skills are good or bad... that doesn't mean I'm a racing driver or a mechanic. I never said I was a professional.
Yes I do charge. I live in a country that is 34 x 11 miles... tiny armpit of hell... but this is where I am... we do not have lawyers contracts for photogs etc in order to charge to take photos. Unless I'm doing corporate jobs, which I don't, we don't need to have a registered company even. This is a country where pretty much anything goes. This is not USA. So payment is purely 'appreciation payment'. There are professional photographers here of course, but who charge $3000 and up for weddings. Not everyone has that kind of money lying around. And if someone offers to pay me $100 here or $200 there, why on earth would I say no. I have told every one of my clients that I am an amateur. They choose me nonetheless, because of my 'portfolio'. They could easily choose the 'professionals' or the 'cheapest', but they don't - they choose me.

That said, this initial message was written in the beginners section, and was moved to the 'aspiring photog' section by the site. I class myself as a beginner with a good eye and a dream to become the best, as mentioned in my very first line.

I still like the idea of a 2nd body at a job, but after more thought, it would rather be to have a different lens on. Say having a wide angle on one body and a zoom lens on the other.

You said you aren't sure about calculating DOF quickly. The smaller the number (ex. F2.8 )the less in focus and the more open the lens is. The bigger the number (ex. F11) the more in focus and the more close the lens is.
I am happy to let you know that I know what DOF is and how it works, but in terms of Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster..., I was wondering if the 'pros' actually use this, or have it memorised or just wing it...

All in all, I know I need to practise a lot more. Without saying it directly, professionals have practised so much and done it for so long that the settings needed for any respective shot, are almost innate. It might take me a long time to become as professional with my image taking as some of you out there, but I am trying. And I will keep on trying, on my own, and hopefully with the full support, critical responses or not, from this site.

Thank again guys.
Claire

Anyone is welcome to pm me with their advice or even bashing... I'm a big girl now... but keep it clean for public viewing.

I use hyperfocus all the time when i am shooting on the street with my Leica M4 i can get the shot far quicker than someone with a DSLR i never use mine on the street

Well, with a manual focus lens with proper lens markings the hyperfocal distance is more or less marked on the lens. For some default reasonable assumptions. You might choose to go a little up or down from the marked setting, based on experience.

MF lenses aren't really used much these days, though.

Most reactions

Back