Considering a back up camera..which way to go?

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At a point I am considering a back up camera for my D80. I can go two ways.... D70 or 70s or go for a D300. A huge difference in price between the two.
I love my D80. It sounds stupid to some to go back to an older camera but it leaves disposible cash.... lenses, filters, etc....
D300 Brand spanking new. 12 MP (MP's really dont concern me. I rather concentrate on my shooting and practice than the newest gadget) I am looking for a body only for either. As much as I travel, A back up is a good idea to me. I always carry a P&S but would like another DSLR.

D70. Good camera, inexpensive, and seems to have good reviews.
D300. The new big boy on Nikons block. Lots of features and around $1800-2000.

Question is, is it worth making the purchase of a used 70? Is the 300 all its cracked up to be? Mind you, I have only ben playing with slr (DSLRs) again since late 2007. The 300 reminds me of a guy with a Vette that doesnt know what the skinny pedal is for.... Just for fun and if it fits in my schedule I may take a class or two in the fall.

And last of all..... Another D80? Viable alternative? Getting less expensive as we speak. May not be a 300 but still in production and INHO... A dang good piece!
Your thoughts?

if u were to buy a d300, wudnt that become ur #1

and the d80 wud be ur backup?

Yes, I probably should have worded that differently. A D300 would be my "camera" and the D80 a back up.... as a D70 would back up the D80. I am just getting ideas of what the options are and what people think. I want D70 owners or people with experience with them as well as the D300.

Unless you truly need the extra features of the D300, I'd either get another D80, or a used D70/D50 or new D40 and then use the extra cash to get some nice pro level glass. With the resolving power of the 12MP sensor, there's not much point to getting it unless you also have some top notch glass to stick in front of it too IMHO.

Another option is a used D200. I've seen these going for $700-800 recently. I'd be tempted on one of those myself, but like smaller bodies for what I do.

I think you'd be tremendously happy with a D300. I'd probably sell the D80 for a D70 and use the extra $250 towards more glass.

The image comparison between the two is not that big of a deal. I assume you don't shoot events, and if your traveling in sketchy areas, having two expensive looking cameras hanging off you is a bad idea.

Also, if your printing at 8x10, the image difference between a D70 and D300 wouldn't exist, and at 11x14 it would be negligeable.

Why not something like a d40 or d50. Something to back you up, and you can put even more money to more glass.

yeah i agree with Jimmy, if you dont feel like you need anything more out of your body anyway

D300 for primary
D80 as backup

I'm assuming extra $$ for D300 not a problem since you brought it up :)

That's way I would go if I were in same situation.

I think the important question is what exactly are you doing with your camera. I mean if you are just shooting for yourself just for fun I say just go for the D70 unless of course you want a D300. If you are shooting professionally I say definately buy a D300 you always want to upgrade not go down.

At a point I am considering a back up camera for my D80. I can go two ways.... D70 or 70s or go for a D300. A huge difference in price between the two.
I love my D80. It sounds stupid to some to go back to an older camera but it leaves disposible cash.... lenses, filters, etc....
D300 Brand spanking new. 12 MP (MP's really dont concern me. I rather concentrate on my shooting and practice than the newest gadget) I am looking for a body only for either. As much as I travel, A back up is a good idea to me. I always carry a P&S but would like another DSLR.

D70. Good camera, inexpensive, and seems to have good reviews.
D300. The new big boy on Nikons block. Lots of features and around $1800-2000.

Question is, is it worth making the purchase of a used 70? Is the 300 all its cracked up to be? Mind you, I have only ben playing with slr (DSLRs) again since late 2007. The 300 reminds me of a guy with a Vette that doesnt know what the skinny pedal is for.... Just for fun and if it fits in my schedule I may take a class or two in the fall.

And last of all..... Another D80? Viable alternative? Getting less expensive as we speak. May not be a 300 but still in production and INHO... A dang good piece!
Your thoughts?

The D70 and D80 are very similar cameras, if retaining the same feel and controls as the d80 is important then the d70 is a great choice.... just think of it as a 6 megapixel version of the camera you already have.

One major difference is the memory card, the d70 takes compact flash. You may want to consider a d40 as a backup as then you could share memory cards between cameras, saving you at least $50 on a new memory card. The D40 may also be a better compliment to your d80, as it's lighter and smaller--better for travel and casual shooting. With the d70 there's no reason to use it over a d80, other then the d80 being broken.

How much glass do you currently have?

If you already have over $1200 worth of glass, get the D300. You'll love it.
If you have $800-$1200 worth of glass, get a second D80.
If you have $400-$800 worth of glass, get a D70.
If you have under $400 of glass and all your lenses are AF-S, get a D40 or D60.

Most reactions

Back