considering buying DSLR...

MajorJohnson9317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so i'm 15 years old and have always been interested in photography, although they only photography i've actually done is with my mom's powershot or with friend's cameras, and i really do enjoy it. i've read enough stuff online to understand aperture/iso/shutter speed and all the basics of cameras. i recently got a summer job and i also happen to be leaving for europe in a week or so, and i thought now would be a great time to buy a DSLR since i can actually afford one. so my question is this, since i haven't taken a photo class at school or anything and probably really wont know what i'm doing, would buying a DSLR as my first camera not be the best choice? and is a DSLR really worth the step up from a point and shoot? i'm considering a t1i or xsi kit by the way as well.

ok so i'm 15 years old and have always been interested in photography, although they only photography i've actually done is with my mom's powershot or with friend's cameras, and i really do enjoy it. i've read enough stuff online to understand aperture/iso/shutter speed and all the basics of cameras. i recently got a summer job and i also happen to be leaving for europe in a week or so, and i thought now would be a great time to buy a DSLR since i can actually afford one. so my question is this, since i haven't taken a photo class at school or anything and probably really wont know what i'm doing, would buying a DSLR as my first camera not be the best choice? and is a DSLR really worth the step up from a point and shoot? i'm considering a t1i or xsi kit by the way as well.

These were some of the major questions that I asked myself before I got my first dSLR last month (I'm 22 btw)...

1) Can I afford it? (yes)
2) Am I content with photos taken by a point and shoot? (NO)
3) Am I willing to take the time to learn the camera properly (yes)

I also got my camera a week before I left for a vacation and it was a decent enough time to understand how to work the different modes, alter aperture, shutter speed, proper care, etc. and I took some really nice photos with it. PM me if you'd like to see some, I got a 50D btw but was quite close to getting the T1i. Good luck, I hope you get one, I wish I could have started when I was 15!

Go for the XSi/450D.

There's not a lot of difference between that and the T1i/500D, and honestly the 'full HD recording' is only at 20fps, so...

A DSLR, yes, is worth it. If you've done enough research, you should also know its all about glass, too.

Get the XSi, with/without twin kit lens, and get a cheap >$100 50mm f/1.8 (nifty fifty) while you're at it.

yeah i'd love to see some! but the second question you asked yourself, i can't really relate. i've never used a DSLR which is why i'm here basically. i haven't been able to find anything online that compares pictures taken from a DSLR and a point and shoot...

Go for the XSi/450D.

There's not a lot of difference between that and the T1i/500D, and honestly the 'full HD recording' is only at 20fps, so...

A DSLR, yes, is worth it. If you've done enough research, you should also know its all about glass, too.

Get the XSi, with/without twin kit lens, and get a cheap >$100 50mm f/1.8 (nifty fifty) while you're at it.
720p at 30fps sounds very practical to me though... but you bring up a good point, xsi body and get a nicer lense, or go with a t1i kit...?

Not trying to be mean but I took a quick stroll through your previous posts (very quick actually since there are only two) and I can't help but wonder how "always" interested in photography you've been.

Considering that one of your previous posts was about cameras and that you did not respond to any of the suggestions that were made to you, all I can say is: stick to your mom's P&S.

Maybe you could figure out a brand new DSLR in a very short time but if you can't, you'll end up missing out on your trip because you'll spend most of your time trying to figure out your new camera.

So, forget the new camera. Take your mom's P&S that you know how to use and enjoy your visit of Europe.

Not trying to be mean but I took a quick stroll through your previous posts (very quick actually since there are only two) and I can't help but wonder how "always" interested in photography you've been.

Considering that one of your previous posts was about cameras and that you did not respond to any of the suggestions that were made to you, all I can say is: stick to your mom's P&S.

Maybe you could figure out a brand new DSLR in a very short time but if you can't, you'll end up missing out on your trip because you'll spend most of your time trying to figure out your new camera.

So, forget the new camera. Take your mom's P&S that you know how to use and enjoy your visit of Europe.

understandable, but my interest in photography does in fact stretch beyond what i post in this forum haha. but yeah thanks anyways i'll take that into consideration :thumbup: i didn't think of that

I got my first DSLR at 16 and it was a great decision! If you really are into photography it's a great way to learn.

I agree w/ Cloud...........:meh: Enjoy your trip!!!! The stress of a new cam. is rough on vacation!! I did it on a trip one time..........wasted time at every stop trying to get the pic I wanted. And I never got it. And missed a lot of cool stuff. On top of the fact your going to be holding the people up your going w/. Take your time get the right cam. and learn how to use it. Just reading how to take a good shot, doesnt get you a good shot!! lol I know!

But its up to you........;)

You should get the best value body and then add glass.

In this case, the XS/1000D doesn't have spot metering, 3.5fps, etc. and the XSi/450D is worth the little extra money. 500D/T1i... it's just not worth it. Really.

Get the XSi/450D with kit lens or twin kit lens and the nifty fifity (50mm f/1.8; if you can afford the 50mm f/1.4 USM, get that instead.... it's much better, but of course the f/1.8 is good for the money).

ok well thanks for all the input :thumbup: i'll have to think about it though.

Lets just say, some people are addicted to facebook, others to youtube but I was absolutely obsessed with going through pics on flickr! There's an option of seeing what kind of photos are taken with a certain kind of camera and if you can pull up a canon powershot vs. a canon Xsi or whatever you'll understand pretty quickly how much better* dSLR photos are... (I just wished I made an account much sooner than I did!!!!! I didn't get a chance to "favorite" all the ones I've gone through but anyway...)

-edit- *"better" is quite relative... I should have said, how much more "limiited" a point and shoot is compared to a dSLR

Also concerning getting frustrated with a dSLR on your trip, it's true, I had certain moments when I couldn't get the shot that I wanted, and sometimes when it didn't come out at all, but if that was the case I just flicked the dial to full auto and went on with my day... fortunately I didn't miss any really cool moments but it could have happened. feel free to check out my flickr account, I posted the link in my profile. I've only uploaded several of the TWO THOUSAND or so I took on the trip-school's slowing me down here.

I just got my XSi with kit lens and 55-250 IS last week and can say it is definitely superior in image quality to a Canon ELPH P&S I had previously been shooting on. I'm still working on my manual exposures, but you'll be fine on vacation with an SLR. Worst case scenario, just set it on the green square (fully automatic) and you've got a nice point and shoot at your disposal. It won't fit as well in your pocket, of course.

Yup, you have full auto settings so there's nothing really to learn to use the camera. A DSLR is no more complicated than a good P&S, it just has more options.

Get what you can afford. I would go with the T1i because of the video capture capability. You're going to Europe! If you don't have a video camera already, kill two birds with one stone. :)

Most reactions

Back