Considering freelance photography...

david1971

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I have been refreshing and honing my photography skills for the last few months now. I just bought the 2007 Photographer's Market Guide and there is some good information and contacts in this publication. I guess my concern is where should I start? What are my options for starting my own freelance photography business? From what I've read in this guide, it's suggested to get my work copyrighted and to hire a lawyer. Is this something I should do right away or should I worry more about getting work? Would it be suggested to build a portfolio as well as a web site containing my work? What are some other resources (via print or web) where I could find listings of freelance photography work?

Thanks in advance.

David

That book is a great place to start. Although, be forewarned it is a tough path.

Bare minimum you'll want to establish your DBA and/or the necessary business filings. A lawyer or accountant would be a great place to start.

As for copyright - everything you take is copyrighted. But, to receive the full legal protection you need to register with the national copyright office.

Wish I could be a lot more help, but we're a wedding studio...

Good Luck!

Most reactions

Back