Considering getting the Nikon 17-55mm/2.8G. Some questions and considerations...

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I think I'd classify myself as a serious amateur. I haven't had my DSLR for that long but I've been trying to improve and "practice" for the past few months. Looking at my recent purchases, it makes me alarmed at the amount of money I'm spending but at the same time I feel like I'm ready for this lens. I have enough money saved up for something like this, but the price tag is still pretty big. I also don't splurge too much on this lens and that. I own the Nikon 35mm/1.8G, Tokina 11-16, and 55-200mm/4-5.6G apart from the kit lens. Some questions/concerns:

1. I really liked the 18-55mm VR kit lens. It wasn't incredible but it's pretty versatile and even though I've gotten new lenses, I carry this one around with me a lot. Now since the focal range of the 17-55 is virtually the same, am I correct in assuming that it will be just as versatile?

2. I know the constant 2.8 aperture is great for low-light situation, and the overall image quality is much sharper than the 18-55, but are there comparison shots side by side for reference?

3. This IS a walkaround lens, right? I mean, provided you can deal with the added weight on your shoulders. I prefer to shoot with tripod when possible, but when that isn't possible it seems more than capable as a walkaround.

4. The reason I'm considering buying so soon is because I'm in Hong Kong till the end of the year and the price is considerably cheaper here. $1280 brand new and no taxes/duties whereas brand new in the US is around $1499 (and that's before taxes!). The downside is that I only get one year of international warranty. Worth the lower price?

Last edited:
At the short end, 17 mm, the 17-55 is only 2/3 of a stop faster at f/2.8 for use in low light, than your 18-55 kit lens is at f/3.5, but you gain 3 stops at the long end, 55 mm.

As far as buying in Hong Kong, it's cheaper because you will get a warranty that is good for just 1 year. If you buy the lens in the US, and register the lens with Nikon USA, they extend the warranty for an additional 4 years, to 5 years total.

Another issue with buying in Hong Kong is the lens will not have a US serial number, and Nikon USA won't work on gear that doesn't have a US serial number, even if it's a paid for out-of-warranty repair. The non-USA serial number also diminishes the resale value of the lens if it sold as a used lens later here in the US.

Last edited:
The next step up from my 18-55 kit lens was the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and delivers 90% of the Nikon at a third of the price. And Optically quite sharp. The only reason for the Nikon at 3x the price is the build which is outstanding.

Purple Wet Series 3 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Despair by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Past Playing the Past by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Holding the Beads Series 1 of 5 -ReDux by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Also the newer Sigma's are quite good. So wondering why the Nikon? Just curious as most don't buy unless their rich or do it for a living.

I have enough saved up to splurge and honestly, I'm not really sure how many more lenses I will buy after this. I am 100% satisfied with the Tokina 11-16 on the ultra-wide end. The 35mm/1.8 is amazing for low light. The only thing I feel I'm lacking is a super sharp mid-range zoom. I know pros love the 70-200/2.8 but I've never been in a situation where I've felt I needed my 55-200mm. Honestly, I forget I have that lens sometimes and will probably sell it soon.

Anyways, about the warranty: with a 1-year international warranty Nikon USA won't work on this lens for that one year just because it doesn't have a US serial number? What good does the international warranty do then?

Also, how does the 24-70/2.8 perform on DX cameras? I'm really not giving this one serious consideration since I don't think I'll ever go to FX. The furthest I'll go is maybe D7000 in a year or so. I feel like I'm just throwing away money if I'm not going to eventually go FX

The Nikon 17-55mm/2.8G is a great lens. I have enjoyed mine everytime that I have used it.

As for a walk around lens... I think that the 24 70mm/2.8 is more of a walk around lens for me. Heavy but, a better range.

I was kind of in the same boat, but I couldn't afford the Nikon. I got a good deal on a used Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and I am very happy with it. Leaps and bounds above the kit lens. I'm sure the Nikon would be even better. It is my most used lens.

Most reactions

Back