Considering Sony Sybershot DSC-F828

Daniel O'Connor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi;

I am looking to buy my wife (ok, and myself) a semi-pro digital camera for Christmas. Despite it's larger size, it looks like the Sony 828 is just edging out the Canon PowerShot Pro 1 by virtue of it's lense speed. I have read some very good reviews of this camera but have just two questions I hope someone can help me with.

1: How significant is the dreaded 'purple color fringing' I've heard about? Does anyone have an unmodified sample image which shows this?

2: Has anyone shot sports or candid event photography with the Sybershot DSC-F828? What is the shutter lag like? Is it long enough to negatively impact sports or portrait photography?

Thanks very much in advance. DanO

Welcome to the site.

I have read some good and some not-so-good things about Sony cameras.
Probably the same reviews you have read.

If you are going to spend that kind of money on a digital camera. I think you would be much better off buying a Digital SLR like the Canon Rebel or the Nikon D70.

The sensor on the 828 is 2/3 " (8.80 x 6.60 mm). When they try to cram 8MP into that small of a sensor...you end up with a lot of digital noise.

The Digital Rebel for example has a sensor that is only 6MP but it's 22.7 x 15.1 mm. It will give you vastly superior image quality...not to mention the added benefits of being a true SLR and compatibility with all Canon EOS equipment.

Most reactions

Back