Considering These Canon Upgrades

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We currently use 10D's (yes, I know those are ancient), and I use a 50mm 1.8 lens. The lens for the other camera is 28-105. We're considering upgrading both cameras to 40D's. We're also considering getting a 24-70 2.8L USM EF and a 50mm 1.4 USM EF. We do mainly portraiture and wedding photography. Do you guys have any suggestions on these? Any suggestions on which order to buy them in (we'll probably get a piece at a time).

I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 1.4, The 1.4 is a better build and the USM make this a very lens a worthwhile upgrade from the 1.8. The bokeh is also much nicer with the 1.4.

I think that the 40D are a very good deal for the performance. 6-10mp is i pretty big jump, the 40D is a lot faster and more responsive in all aspects, compared to the 10D, The 40D offers better High ISO performance.

I think that the new cameras will feel very gratifying, and make your 10D's feel sluggish.

I cannot comment personally on the 24-70, but I'm sure your familiar with its stellar reputation. If you like the current range of your 28-105, I think you will enjoy the extra 4mm on the wide end, as long as you don't miss the range between 70 and 105. personally I would rather have the constant 2.8 aperture then the extended range.

If you are happy with the focal range of the 28-105, then you will probably be happy with the 24-70 F2.8 L lens. Although, be prepared, it's big and very heavy. Personally, I don't even think that 24mm is wide enough on these cameras and I would recommend something in the 17-55mm range.

The 50mm F1.4 is a nice upgrade from the F1.8 version.

The 40D will be a huge upgrade from the 10D and if you can get a good deal on them, then go for it. I'd also suggest looking at the 50D, because that's the latest and greatest camera in this line right now...and if you are going to upgrade, you might as well get the best one.

Personally, I don't even think that 24mm is wide enough on these cameras and I would recommend something in the 17-55mm range.
Have you considered the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II or the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS?

The 50mm is going to be used as my candid wedding photography lens. From what I've heard, the fact that there is no zoom should improve the image sharpness. As far as the other lens, that will be the lens we're using for the main studio lens and the main wedding lens. It would be nice to also include a wider lens, but for that we're considering the 10-22 Canon lens.

I have the lenses listed below. The nifty-fifty is a good lens. I wouldn't upgrade from it unless you absolutely have to. I've read multiple reviews of the 1.4's USM malfunctioning and breaking. My friend has one and he likes it but he hasn't used it a whole lot. I'd probably go with the 2.8 L for your needs. The 50mm f1.8 is a good lens when you stop it down. Go to dpreview.com and fredmiranda.com and read the reviews on the 50mm 1.4.

-JD-

I don't usually recommend the latest gear, but as a wedding photographer the 50D might be relevant. Its much more sensitive sensor allows you to shoot in low-light situations without a flash. That would be it's only real advantage, so if you prefer working with a lighting set-up, you will be quite happy with the 40D.

The 24 - 70 is a fantastic lens. But if you're not shooting at f/2.8 a lot, the 24 - 105 L is a better choice for you. It will have the focal length you're use to.

The 50mm is going to be used as my candid wedding photography lens. From what I've heard, the fact that there is no zoom should improve the image sharpness. As far as the other lens, that will be the lens we're using for the main studio lens and the main wedding lens. It would be nice to also include a wider lens, but for that we're considering the 10-22 Canon lens.

the 17-55 f2.8 IS is far sharper than the 50 1.4 and excellent for weddings & portraits , the 10-22 is too wide for most weddings and portraiture .

I'm inclined to agree with Iron on the 24-105, you keep the long end like your current lens, which is good for portraits, and you get a couple extra mm on the wide end. Its only slightly slower at the wide end, but slightly faster at the long end. So all in all, you keep the focal range that you are comfortable working with, and get a pretty significant gain in quality. Unless part of your reasoning for an upgrade was the need for faster glass, I think that the 24-105 really fits your needs well, and your old lens becomes a backup for the same range.

I use a 20D & 40D at weddings and own a few of the lenses mentioned.

The 50/1.4 is a solid upgrade to the 1.8. better AF and build. Nicer bokeh and sharper at 1.8.

The 24-70 is an almost perfect wedding photographers lens. My only small gripe is not that it doesn't have IS, it's that they brought out the 24-105 and made the decision to own one or the other very difficult!!!

The 24-105 has a much better range but that one stop can be crucial at an event. Having said that if you have been using a slow 28-105, you will be VERY happy with the 24-105.

I own a 28-75/2.8 which is pretty much used as a backup at my weddings. My 70-200 f2.8L IS and my 24-105 are the workhorses. I do use a fast prime if I'm in a very dark place though.

40D works out well but I'm kinda looking at the Nikon cameras and thinking I'd maybe like to try one out..... switching though is a big decision. The 40D apparently performs better than the 50D in low light (in terms of noise) but I'm sure either would be great choices.

I think when it comes to noise the 50D is higher per pixel, but because there are 50% more pixels, noise its about the same as the 40D when comparing the same size print.

Although the 50D does offer 6400, that is probably as usable as the 40D 3200, but I have not seen any physical prints so I cannot give an informed opinion on that matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back