Considering using macs only for production work?

Paul_the_6th

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.paulwilson.me.uk
I am an experienced PC user (around 12 years) so I'm equiped with more than enough knowledge to deal with any situation which a pc might throw at me, but with the introduction of intel macs, bootcamp and a little experience with macs in college, I'm tempted by the mac mini intel duo with bootcamp.

Basically, I'm thinking of moving all my digital creative work such as photography (photoshop etc), graphic design, web design and radio work to a mac platform as I've only good things about how macs handle such work. With bootcamp, I'd stil be able to run all my favourite windows only apps.

Has anyone made a transition similar to this/is planning on doing one soon?

are there any unusual factors which I haven't considered? would it really benefit me in having all my digital creative work on a mac platform?

There is much less of a difference between the various operating systems now. It used to be pretty biased: Windows for office work, Apple for media, and Linux for coding or servers. Now each is a lot more well-rounded.

I agree with mark..... i still have a mac, but now i do all my design work on a high spec pc....... plus all my software is now pc based..... so although i too have considered a newer mac, it would be very expensive to make the complete transition now...... its up to personal preferance of course..... and there was a time i turned my nose up at pc's for media use..... i was a mac fanatic.... but there arn't many dividing lines anymore.

kelox said:
get the mac, it'll crash...well never.
Or keep your PC hardware, save yourself a grand, and switch to linux. It'll crash... well never. :wink:

I run both, only recently have I entered the Mac world. My idea was based on pretty much using the Mac for all my creative stuff - visual and audio whilst keeping the PC's for my software development and other activities.

So far it is working out pretty good with the exception that my audio creation still pretty much takes place on the PC until I find the right breakout box to attach my studio monitors too on the iMac.

If you are thinking Mactel be warned that Photoshop and other Adobe tools will be annoying sometimes until they release the new UB versions (filters can seriously slow it down). That said it can be used to get work done, but for now I'd say keep that PC around :)

You may also want to consider Parallels virtual workstation rather than Bootcamp, I have found it to be surprisingly impressive when it comes to running XP Pro SP2 at a decent speed.

Regards,
Peter Witham

Most reactions

Back