Consistant cropping on similar product shots.

Eric Nagle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to product photography (actually new to all professional photography). I just shot 15 different vanity/sink tops. I did my best to mark out and document where the tripod legs and at what focal distance I took each exposure at.... but now that the thumbnails are all uploaded and next to each other in a gallery/grid they are not close enough for the store to look professional. I AM expecting to have to adjust each composition manually, but I am wondering if anyone here could share some insight on an efficient workflow to make the best use of my time. Thanks. I shoot in RAW, organize in OSX Lightroom and bridge to Photoshop CC when editing. Thanks in advance.

Some example images, along with the details of your set-up (gear, lighting, etc) would help us analyze things and best suggest ways to improve.

Of course. Im shooting with a Nikon D7000. For this shoot, I shot exclusively with a 18-200 VR and actually set the mode to auto (no flash). I had begun the shoot with 2 continuous lighting 5000k 45W fluorescent bulbs on stands, but I didn't like that they didn't match the temp of some of my overhead room lighting. The two sources were evident in some of the reflections in the stainless. So I just used the overhead shop lights which are very large and bright. My room was completely white with no windows.
Unmatched Thumbnails.png
WHT Back Vanity-19.jpg

A simple way is to load all the images into a single PS file as a separate layer then you can match the size of each layer against one template. Then export each layer as a jpg.

If you don't know how or don't have PS, I'll do it for you, gratis.
Just PM me and I'll let you know what to send and where to send it.

Actually, I don't see any huge problems with these; what is it that you satisfied with?

A simple way is to load all the images into a single PS file as a separate layer then you can match the size of each layer against one template. Then export each layer as a jpg.

Just PM me and I'll let you know what to send and where to send it.[/QUOTE]

Traveler, Thats kind of what I had started doing. I had made a layer that had 2 horizontal lines, one for the top concrete edge, and one for the bottom edge. Then I was going into transform mode and adjusting one of the images until it spanned the same space as the last. The concept seemed easy enough, but since my photoshop basics are pretty shoddy, I couldent iron our a system or process to swap out the image I had just exported for the next one I needed. If that makes any sense.

Just PM me and I'll let you know what to send and where to send it.

Traveler, Thats kind of what I had started doing. I had made a layer that had 2 horizontal lines, one for the top concrete edge, and one for the bottom edge. Then I was going into transform mode and adjusting one of the images until it spanned the same space as the last. The concept seemed easy enough, but since my photoshop basics are pretty shoddy, I couldent iron our a system or process to swap out the image I had just exported for the next one I needed. If that makes any sense.

That should work.:cheerful:
If you want to send me some of the pictures, I can walk you through it on Skype in 30 minutes.
I am in the Eastern time zone and am pretty flexible with time. (at least until next Tuesday week when I disappear for ~3 weeks.)

No obligation,

That would be great! To be honest I dont know if I have ever used skype but ill download it and figure out a time. Im on the East coast as well. Will a skype setup allow me to see your application open? Or is just a VOIP connection? Also if i zip all the jpegs into a file, what way would you want me to send them to you?

I learned something today.
PS makes this incredibly easy by using an existing script.
(I did this with some of your files and will send examples.)

load files into stack.jpg

then on the next screen you get to pick the files.
make certain to check the option to align based on content.
That seems to ignore the differences( the hardware) and align on the major structure, the vanity, and you end up with a stack of aligned images.
load files III.jpg

Then check the alignment by clicking on the visibility of each layer (sliding the opacity down so you can see through it)
You may have to go back and extend some of the boundaries of individual layers so that they will crop to the same size.
Crop to the aspect ratio you want, save the file, resize to a smaller image.
Then export each layer one at a time by turning on the visibility (from the bottom) one at a time.

Maybe fifteen minutes per set and they looked fine.

Last edited:
This is incredible. I cant thank you enough! How did you find such a feature?

The Internet is a wonderland of obscure features that are gifts from the Adobe heaven when they fit a specific need.

(This is the same mechanism as the HDR merge and align, just packaged slightly differently. Let me know if you have any problems.)

I did this for Eric but thought it might be useful for others.

What I did was to create a new layer, drag it to the bottom and paint it the background color.
Then I dragged a ruler line (blue) to what had to be the bottom and the top of the illustration and made certain that that was good for each layer.
Then I cropped it, saved it full size, resized it, then revealed each layer and export each one as a jpeg

upload_2015-1-29_8-46-29.png

I added the border so it would show up against this background well..

upload_2015-1-29_8-46-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-29_8-46-31.png
    upload_2015-1-29_8-46-31.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 157
  • upload_2015-1-29_8-46-31.png
    upload_2015-1-29_8-46-31.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 158
I learned something today.
PS makes this incredibly easy by using an existing script.
(I did this with some of your files and will send examples.)

View attachment 94298

then on the next screen you get to pick the files.
make certain to check the option to align based on content.
That seems to ignore the differences( the hardware) and align on the major structure, the vanity, and you end up with a stack of aligned images.
View attachment 94302

Then check the alignment by clicking on the visibility of each layer (sliding the opacity down so you can see through it)
You may have to go back and extend some of the boundaries of individual layers so that they will crop to the same size.
Crop to the aspect ratio you want, save the file, resize to a smaller image.
Then export each layer one at a time by turning on the visibility (from the bottom) one at a time.

Maybe fifteen minutes per set and they looked fine.

this is exactly what i was going to suggest just now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back