Constructive Criticism Wanted

yung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I just made my first travel video. I'm pretty inexperienced, and would love any kind of feedback. I'm planning on making a video for each of the seven countries I'm visiting on my five-month backpacking trip, and I would like to improve for each one, so please - help me!

What don't you like, what should I have done different? How are the color grading, do the colors feel "consistent"? Is the vid cut too choppy and quick? How is the general filming, do I have good composition etc? And are there any frames or scenes I should have cut? Is the video too long?

This was shot in on a Pana GH3 with Vivid Picture Profile and these settings:
Contrast -1
Sharpness -1
Saturation -1
Noise Reduction all over the place, depending on lighting conditions.

I would love to one day get a coloring software and shoot completely flat, but as of now I only have FCP7, and I probably won't acquire anything else while traveling. I find it difficult to do major coloring work in FCP7, is this because it actually is difficult, or could I learn it?

The video:

Really, really appreciate any comments!!
Kaspar

Since there's no video, it's hard to view. Besides, it's a photography forum.....

Since there's no video, it's hard to view. Besides, it's a photography forum.....

Oh, I'm sorry. I would delete the post and find a more suitable place for it, but I don't see any option for deleting? Weird that the video doesn't show for you, on my screen it's embedded at the end of the post.

My remark was intended sarcastically, but I realize that doesn't come through with just text. And now the video shows. Earlier I had a dead space where it should have been.

Still I don't have anything to offer about it. My earlier post was only intended to let you know that something was wrong, we couldn't see it. Now we can, though.

My remark was intended sarcastically, but I realize that doesn't come through with just text. And now the video shows. Earlier I had a dead space where it should have been.

Still I don't have anything to offer about it. My earlier post was only intended to let you know that something was wrong, we couldn't see it. Now we can, though.
than why need to be sly about it being a "photography forum" when there obviously is a for 'DSLR video' maybe if you have nothing constructive to say you don't say anything.

Hi!

I just made my first travel video. I'm pretty inexperienced, and would love any kind of feedback.

some of the shots were kinda boring and lasted to long like the 4 seconds close up of the guy chewing, but I like the edit mostly except for thatalso I would think about adding some more nats I know you had some with the lady and fish but maybe some when the kids are laughing. I did not like the song choice either it made me wanna stop watching.

Kasper, I enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the shots. Good camera work.

My only quibble is that there didn't seem to be a real story. It's mostly a montage of nice shots. Perhaps next time include more of a distinct path. Where you started from, where you are going.

Entertaining. I enjoyed it

I like the video work and the color as well as the people. Nothing in the video tells me who the people are and where they are. The title tells us the Philippines but the video just jumps all over with various scenes with nothing tying the shots together either with a story or geographically.

I really enjoyed this video. For your first one its very well done. I do have a few comments though... Perhaps a more story telling music choice? Though I did like this one. And at 2:13 with those quotes or signs, slow that down a bit so we can read them. They were far too quick to even see what they said, and left my eyes hurting for trying to figure out what it said in such a short period of time.

Other than that, well done!!

I liked it but agree with dennybeall, it was like street photo (video) some real nice local people shots

I thought the video was generally good. I agree that there doesn't seem to be much of a story, which I think can easily be fixed with some simple cuts beginning and end. I did feel some shots were a bit shaky...not sure what lens you were using.

Other than that, I also noticed one of the more extended shots (no pun intended) was of the man coming out of the water wearing his speedo at 23 seconds. Not sure the shot needs to be that long (again, no pun intended).

btw, what song is that? Contrary to a previous comment, I thought it fit the mood very well and is quite good.

Wonderful edit Kaspar for your first travel video. The edit was timed with the music. I liked the different shots of the same event. For examples: the boat, grain, and concrete block making. My suggestion would be to stabilize in post. Premiere Pro's warp stabilizer does a great job. What is your editing program? I don't know if Premiere Elements, the consumer version, has a stabilizer. I think Prodad's Mercali Stabilizer plug-in works in various editors.

A good monopod would help steady the shots. I have a Manfrotto travel monopod that is light weight and packs up nicely. Paid around $30.

I added your video to a Travel group on Vimeo. Check out the other videos in the group for ideas.

Looking forward to your Sri Lanka video. Happy editing!

I liked the shots. Good camera work.

My only quibble is that there didn't seem to be a real story. It's mostly a montage of nice shots. Perhaps next time include more of a distinct path. Where you started from, where you are going.

I like the video work and the color as well as the people. Nothing in the video tells me who the people are and where they are. The title tells us the Philippines but the video just jumps all over with various scenes with nothing tying the shots together either with a story or geographically.

If you're looking to improve, videography shouldn't be your principal concern. Sure there are clips and edits here and there that could have been done better, but for the most part, everything looked beautiful. My biggest criticism would be along the lines of the aforementioned quotes; the video seems to just be a montage of (albeit interesting) seemingly unconnected things. You ought to try and approach the video as it's own narrative story arc. Three minutes is a fairly long time to be watching something if there's no story keeping the viewer interested.

Near the beginning, establish time, place, setting, etc. Once the viewer knows where the video is going to take place, delve into the smaller, more minute details about people, places, activities. Perhaps create an ending that parallels the beginning so that the video feels like it takes the viewer on a complete journey (coming and going). A good way to incorporate these ideas into your work would be to create a visual map or brief storyboard/shotlist that briefly lays out the types of content you'll need to capture and in what order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back