Consumer Level Film For a Beginner Photographer

Sash[DSL]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im just warming up with my Pentax MZ10+35-80mm kit lens, not hoping to get anything outstanding done, just getting a feel for the camera. Dont want to spend too much money on the film, I think decent consumer level film will do the trick for me.
I shot a few rolls of different consumer level colour negative film and here's what I got:
1)Kodak Max - Although Ive heard many complaints about this fim, I would say it aint as bad, the colours dont look supersaturated, but theyre dont seem to be unnaturally bright. Ive seen a lot of complaints on the net about this film but i really dont think its half as bad as it is described.
2)Kodak Gold - Probably the worst. I shot a bunch of great sunset pictures, MOST turned out very milky and undersaturated. Ill scan some and host it so you can see. I would blame this on the film, however a couple did turn out pretty good. Maybe the trick is intentionally underexposing this film? Also, I shot a few pics of flowers, looked pretty bad too - the greyish grain is very obvious in the blurred parts of the image and in the overly bright parts too.
3)Fujicolour SuperHQ - I got this for dirt cheap at a local retailer(CAD$2.5=USD~$1.8). Mostly shot nature and stuff, the colours turned out surprisingly good, very saturated ABSOLUTELY NO MILKY FEEL TO THEM. I especially like the blacks - they look very VERY V E R Y black. However, a couple portrait shots that I took look bad, too contrasty, very weird flesh tones. Again, Ive read many complaints on this, but really dont know what is bothering people so much about it.

Fuji Superia seems to be the best of the consumer level print films if money is an object

I took a few rolls over the weekend at a motocross race and was pleased with the results considering the varied lighting conditions throughout the weekend

Most reactions

New Topics

Back