contact printing light sources

casper24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just acquired and 8x10 camera and intend to make contact prints from the negatives. Can anyone suggest an appropriate light source for printing that won't expose the image unevenly? I don't have access to an enlarger.

I use a simple 7W night light suspended about 3' above the working surface. Exposure times run about 15 sec. using enlarging [not contact] paper. I use this set-up for proof sheets of b&w negs.

You will run into a problem with this set-up if you are using variable contrast paper. A night light is far 'yellower' [lower color temperature] than enlarger bulbs, so the paper will go 'soft.' You can easily get around this by using graded papers.

There is an article on contact printing here on this site.

Use a simple reflective clamp light with an R40 flood bulb suspended above your printing area about +/- 3 feet. Rig it to be raised or lowered and/or with a dimmer switch to control output, this should provide good even coverage. Get the lowest wattage available for enlarging paper. I use a 300 watt bulb for silver chloride paper, Kodak Azo or the new Lodima, both are hard to find now, but there should be a new run of the Lodima Fine Art paper soon.

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. These are fascinating because of their wide variation. I'm beginning to see some ways to go about this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back