Contax RTS

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good afternoon everyone.
I have a friend selling a Contax RTS with lens 50mm 1.4 Zeiss Planar T.
I would like the opinion of you on camera. I have the Canon f 1, which in the opinion of you is the better of the two? her price is US $ 300.00. With respect to electronic components, usually give much trouble? I thank everyone.

If you own F1 I wouldn't bother with RTS unless you shoot, develop and make prints by yourself. But if you do not develop own film it is doesn't matter, what you shoot. Lab processing nowadays will take away most benefits of shooting with even the best glass.
Nevertheless price is good if the camera and lens are in very good condition. But that something you would have to asses by yourself. And with electronics almost half a century old nobody can be really sure of anything.

Electronics are getting old on the RTS. Could well be problems.

The RTS is not the greatest of cameras, I would consider your F1 to be the better camera
... the Zeiss lens is probably worth about $270 ... I don't know if that is so much better than an FD 50mm f1.4, which I had and I thought had really great IQ.

Yes, the original RTS is getting older. I own a RTS and a Canon F1n with various lenses.
The Zeiss lenses are indisputably superior to the vast majority of FD lenses, especially if you shoot slides.
The Canon F1 is better built than the RTS. The RTS II or III are better built than the F1, IMO, then again, I think the Contax RTS III is the best 35mm film camera ever produced.

Yes, the original RTS is getting older. I own a RTS and a Canon F1n with various lenses.
The Zeiss lenses are indisputably superior to the vast majority of FD lenses, especially if you shoot slides.
The Canon F1 is better built than the RTS. The RTS II or III are better built than the F1, IMO, then again, I think the Contax RTS III is the best 35mm film camera ever produced.

No, that would be the Leicaflex SL2.

Good afternoon everyone.
I have a friend selling a Contax RTS with lens 50mm 1.4 Zeiss Planar T.
I would like the opinion of you on camera. I have the Canon f 1, which in the opinion of you is the better of the two? her price is US $ 300.00. With respect to electronic components, usually give much trouble? I thank everyone.

Why bother? The Canon F-1 is a reliable mechanical camera, whereas the RTS used electronics that are less likely to have aged as well. Lens quality is overall about the same. If you really want to 'move up', get a Leicaflex SL2. The Leica Summilux-R 50mm F/1.4 is a great lens, second to none. Expect to pay at least $800 for one.

Last edited:
I just bought one of those planars. It's one of the best 50s I've owned, and I've owned quite a lot. I can't attest to the camera. I don't shoot film, too expensive for my blood. The value of those planars are all over the place. Ebay has them for around 250 while keh has them for 350. If anything, I'd offer her $200 and call it a day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back