contemplating Art in the dark

spako

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
spako.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this shot in the new Museum here in Luxembourg... can you see the person in the left part of the picture? My screen isnt well calibrated so I dont know if the shot is good as it is... any comment or critique would be welcmoe :)))

IMG_3004_1.jpg

the shot is fine i think, however i strongly believe that photographing art itself is not art and can only be a representation of that artwork, unless you are also creating the sculpture i think this shot can only be a representation of someone elses work.

newrmdmike said:
the shot is fine i think, however i strongly believe that photographing art itself is not art and can only be a representation of that artwork, unless you are also creating the sculpture i think this shot can only be a representation of someone elses work.

it might not necessarily be the best subject for art, but it can be used for photojournalistic purposes...and all types of photography should incorporate some type of art.

i think it's an excellent shot, well composed and exposed. nice!

I really like this, the tones are nice the person is hidden but still visible

newrmdmike said:
Well it isn't just a photograph of a sculpture. It's a photo of human interaction with art.

I am right now seeing this photo on the monitor of my kids' computer which is not as bright as my own flatscreen, and I can still see the person in the shadows. So that person is not too hidden in the darkness. It is WELL hidden in the darkness. And I like how you spotted this, composed and exposed it, with the object of art in the museum naturally lit through a window (I assume!!??) and the visitor contemplating it from his shadowy corner.

And there have been photos on here of pieces of art in museums which in themselves were art again. JonMikal's pics taken inside museums with his son interacting with the displayed pieces were new pieces of art in themselves!

newrmdmike said:
....i strongly believe that photographing art itself is not art and can only be a representation of that artwork, unless you are also creating the sculpture i think this shot can only be a representation of someone elses work.

On its face, I agree with this statement...out of context. But this photo I think is art in itself. This picture isn't about the sculpture. To me, this photo is more about light and shadow, and the anonymous human element.

Take out the sculpture and replace it with anything else and it wouldn't change a bit.

This is a wonderful photograph and certainly stands as art on its own, Great expousure and composition. The combination of light and shadow you have captured in combination with the anonymous figure are spectacular.

My only suggestion for improvment would be to consider cropping a very small amount off the left hand side. Just enough to remove the corner.

great work :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back