Contemporary Senior Girl

Tally Ho said:
Sorry, but here is what I see locally. A number of years ago a new photographer opened up a studio, learned the craft from the masters, but then after a few years decided he was not getting the 'rush' it once gave him, so he turned the studio over to his assistant. He didn't give her much in the way of photographic education because she was artistic and freewheeling and into candid portraits. She was 'up against' two master photographers in her county of 50,000, plus several other 'good' solid portraitists in a nearby county. She closed the business after three years. Does this happen all over? I would guess so, but don't know that for a fact.

I take from the above situation that people in my area like well posed, well executed, well lit portraits like they see in the windows of the established 'main street' photographers. Actually, in my nearly 25 years in this business, I have seen probably a dozen (or more) photographers come and go in my town of 10,000. Mere flashes in the pan. All were candid shooters, none took the time to learn the rules, or pose or light their subjects well, they just fired away, hoping for one good image out of several hundred. OTOH there are three established portrait photographers in my town, none are candid shooters (except at weddings) all have learned the rules, have learned that they can be broken sometimes and all are doing quite well. So you see, it is my limited view of things that determines why I shoot the way I shoot. If I lived in New York city and everyone was shooting candids and they were making a good living at it, I would start shooting more candids. But I live in a little conservative bible belt town of 10,000 and people here like what I and all the others shoot, so that is my market. You shoot your market, I will shoot mine. I will use or abuse the rules, you can do likewise if you want.

Mr. Ho
NOW we are talking! :cheer:
I have nothing more to add other than what Hertz just said.

Have a beautiful evening! :)

AlisonPower said:
Not all people who shoot "candids" are un-educated on lighting or how to work with their clients.
Yup.

A nice share of photographers at WPJA have solid experience with newspapers, wire agencies, advertising etc.

In all the time i've been here on this nice forum filled with nice loving people....i've never seen such an anti-social thread. Well done kids. :lol:

Sharkbait said:
I submitted my site for the wpja, but haven't heard back from them...guess I didn't make the cut. :(
I would assume they would get back to you either ways. A 'I was wondering...' email may not be a bad idea.

thebeginning said:
another hilarious thread. it is threads like these that keep me coming back to TPF.

It's threads like these that make me realize I'm wasting my time here.

:lol: Just happened upon this thread this morning, read the whole thing, and you guys are hilarious!!! Thanks for a good laugh :)

Just curious Tally Ho...where are you located?

Most reactions

Back