Contemporary Senior Girl

Ok. I would like to weigh in here. Tally I believe there are some of us here who have a lot to learn from you and I for one am here to learn and can see you have a lot to offer. On the other hand right away I noticed that your manner was quite off putting and I interpreted your delivery as arrogant and self-serving and so I personally shied away. This community has been a wonderful place to come to and the sheer variety and levels of competancy here make it a safe place for all to share their work and their progress and to have others kindly help them along and cheer them on. You kinda came in like a bull in a china shop and while you may not be here to make friends I am quite confident you did not come here to make enemies. So I would like to propose that you chalk this up to a learning experience and move past it so that we can garner from you what knowledge you do have to share. Thanks for listening!!! : )

tsienni said:
Thanks for your reply. I´m honored to get your response. Hehe, I hope I don´t sound cynical, for I am not.

I am not qualified to make judgments on how great those four photographers are. Actually, if possible, can we focus on ideas? Could you please show me but one example of their works that embodies those essential elements about which you feel strongly in portrait photography?

I have numerous images made by Master Photographer Don Blair. Unfortunately, he died last year, and what a wonderful teacher, gentleman and photographer he was. When he was teaching at Winona International School of Professional Photography I took the advanced portrait class from him and I bought one of his books, "Body Parts" from which I scanned the portrait below. I am big into leaning, as was Don, I am sold on the head tilt as was Don. I like properly posed hands as did Don, and I like short lighting as did Don. The image below embodies all of these elements.

Tally Ho

Attachments

• $Blair001.jpg
    $Blair001.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 136
I have a few things I want to know/share. First, I'm feeling pretty sharing so I'm going to share a few definitions myself. Especially since you like to share them so much.

tact ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (t
abreve.gif
kt)
n.
  1. Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.
  2. Archaic. The sense of touch.
re·spect ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (r
ibreve.gif
-sp
ebreve.gif
kt
prime.gif
)
tr.v. re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects
  1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
  2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
  3. To relate or refer to; concern.
n.
  1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
  2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
  3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
  4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
  5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.
Now, if you're still reading because you seem to lack the second definition for other people that you don't view to be in your "class", I have a question: what qualifies someone to be a master of photography? Is it someone that makes no errors in their work? Is it someone that has been published? I don't kid when I ask this question because people are referred to as professional out of context all of the time and I think of masters of things like the guitar as a person who seldomly makes a mistake and changes the art for years to come. Example in this would be Steve Vai. If you have any more insight on this, feel free to let me know.

hobbes28 said:
I have a question: what qualifies someone to be a master of photography?.

I'll try to field this one. It's been a long time since I bailed from the Professional Photographers of America (PPA), but I can give you the gist of it.

Members (paid members) may earn "merits" either by attending or presenting classes at an accredited school, or by entering into the print competion at an accredited judging as at a state PPA convention or at national.

Merits don't come cheap. The week-long classes taught by working professionals are expensive and so can be entering into competition.

A photographer that amasses 25 merits earns the degree of Master of Photography. At least 13 of these merits must be earned through competion.

A photographer that gathers 25 merits earns the degree of Craftsman. At least 13 of these merits must be earned though classes.

The print judging is tough. Images are scored by multiple judges on a scale of 1-100 (not really... you'll see why). A print scoring 80 earns an automatic merit. As a result, the judging pretty much is based on 80. If they want you to have the merit, you get the 80. 79's are hard to swallow. Anything over 80 is quite a nice statement. The slang is to say your print "hung," since it is an automatic to "hang" on display at national. There, there's on additional in-out judging to decide if it will be included in the traveling loan collection.... another merit, of course.

I wonder if our friend has had any of his prints hang.

Ah! So becoming a Master of Photography is just a matter of getting a piece of paper awarded by the PPA for playing the game and paying them cash.
We have some organisations like that here in the UK.
They give awards for taking a picture that looks like everyone else's, too.
So 'Master Photographer' in this context would mean 'I do it by the numbers but have no real talent or originality'?

Hertz van Rental said:
Ah! So becoming a Master of Photography is just a matter of getting a piece of paper awarded by the PPA for playing the game and paying them cash.

Yeah... we do the same thing in our Universities.

Hertz van Rental said:
So 'Master Photographer' in this context would mean 'I do it by the numbers but have no real talent or originality'?

Sometimes. Those folks take longer to achieve Master. The talented ones do it much more quickly and tend to be trend setters.

Hertz van Rental said:
We have some organisations like that here in the UK.
They give awards for taking a picture that looks like everyone else's, too.

Yup, Hertz a piece of paper, just like our medical doctors. They have these pieces of paper that says they played the game and gave their universities lots and lots of money, but they really don't know anything at all about medical stuff. Oh by the way, the last time we contacted master photographer Frank Cricchio about speaking to our affiliate, his going rate was $6500.00 for three days plus all meals, plus his hotel room and we pay transportation from Texas. Not too bad for a guy who just has a 'piece of paper' and 'no real talent or originality' I would say. Does anyone on this site command those kind of prices just to talk?

Tally Ho

Tally Ho said:
They have these pieces of paper that says they played the game and gave their universities lots and lots of money, but they really don't know anything at all about medical stuff.
Tally Ho

you sir, are a cock.

If it wasnt for so called "know nothing" medical doctors, i wouldnt be here, and niether would my mom. You have no idea what you are talking about 99% of the time. Im personally offended now, and im honored to be the one to tell you off.

I wish people like you would mysteriously vanish into thin air. THAT WAY YOU WONT BE USING ANYMORE OF MY VALUABLE OXYGEN.

but you can always PM me if you want to discuss this. I must warn you though, im a MASTER in making people wish they werent born.

matthew

Tally Ho said:
Oh by the way, the last time we contacted master photographer Frank Cricchio about speaking to our affiliate, his going rate was $6500.00 for three days plus all meals, plus his hotel room and we pay transportation from Texas. Not too bad for a guy who just has a 'piece of paper' and 'no real talent or originality' I would say. lly Ho
1. The price seems real low. I can show you a bunch of photographers with much much much higher rates. And they do not have no piece of paper.
2. Charge is not necessarily dictated by the piece of paper, the master tag or talent. Good marketing plays a huge role.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back