Content aware fill

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is anyone else disappointed with content aware fill after using it? Maybe I using it wrong but I expected much more after the videos adobe put out.

From user videos and pics I have seen. It just makes a pattern out of the information that is available. It can look very nice small scale, but on a larger area it is very noticeable.

I haven't been able to come close to what they did in the videos (removing the tree and shadows). I find I the patch is still much better. :p

Here's a few before and afters using CAF for me: (These were all "test" shots. Was just location scouting with my kids)

Before:
119.jpg

After: Got rid of the silver car in the background behind the tall grass.
119edit.jpg

Before:
067.jpg

After:
067CAF.jpg

I cropped that last one to get rid of the flower. it was bugging me..

071CAFcrop.jpg

In the second shot (the kids on the bench) in the original I can see what I expected would be a limitation of the filter - look at the daisies and you can see two distinct mirrored lines of them where the filter has copied over the stone wall. Certainly not a major problem as you just have to clone/heal in a bit of difference and the major legwork has already been done - but something to keep an eye on when using the filter for certain.

I guess it has its place somewhere. I tend to get very blurry effects even in (what should be) very easy filling. For example, some geese on a lawn, I try to CAF one out and it gets all screwy green blur that looks very little like the lawn around it.

Maybe I just need to get used to it but I've been using the patch/clone tool again.

it might also be easier for me since I have never used any form of CS before. I've only had elements and hated the clone tool because it would never do what I really wanted it to do... I don't think I ever fully learned how to use it...

But now with CAF, it just makes me "stupid beginner mistakes" easier to fix :) haha... lol

No, I don't look at it like that when I am actually taking pictures. I try to take pictures that I won't have to spend 20 minutes or more editing. I try to get as much as possible right in camera :)

It's not a bad a feature and it definitely speeds up the processing/retouch work. As to is it worth nearly a grand (can't comment on it).
DL the trial version - 30d free, try it out.
good luck

okay I have found that it does have it's place, but isn't nearly as good as the sneak peak videos showed. I have tho found uses for it.

I am also loving the new features to Camera Raw (well, new to me - coming from cs3). The adjustment brushes are awesome!

the sneak peek videos were shown small... so it was harder to see these "imperfections" in the videos. I do agree that the video made it seem a lot better. But it is probably because they were made so small...

the sneak peek videos were shown small... so it was harder to see these "imperfections" in the videos. I do agree that the video made it seem a lot better. But it is probably because they were made so small...

I think you're right. I should demand my money back, except I'd still want to keep cs5 lol

Its a ok feature, but i thought it would be a like on the video adobe put out. It works good but sometimes it does the wrong fill in

I have learned that if you have something big that you want to get rid of using CAF, you should do small portions of it at a time...

if it is too close to something else (like in the first shot of my kids on the bench, in the middle, that stone ledge is about a mm above my daughter's head) it will take the pattern of whatever it is close to... So it ended up putting some of my daughter's hair in the middle of the grass...

I tried to use CAF to get rid of the flower in the lower left corner of the picture and it pulled some of the lines from the bench into the corner... Not what I was going for :) lol

I take back all that I said about CAF. I have learned to love it!!

Most reactions

Back