Contest question...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Sharkbait, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Is there some organized way to find a couple of decent contests to enter some shots in, especially portraits?

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

You could always do a google search, here's a link to a place that has some listed, hopefully it will work: http://www.photolinks.com/ResultsPage2.html?CATEGORY=Photo Contests

The best way to find the newest ones though would probably be to just do a search of some sort. Also your baby photos could win loads of contests, and there are tons of baby photo contests out there too :)

Just one place to be aware of...http://www.picture.com/contest/enter.asp They are a rip off company, and take any pics, then send you a letter saying they will be in a book, charging about 90 bucks for it, and then you may never get the book, or if you do it will be about 3 years...so make sure the contest is legit :) Good luck!!!

3. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

It's been some time since I've entered anything into competition. It can be very gratifying. It can also make you want to scream.

If you're thinking "contest," look into any local camera clubs. Clubs often have contests on a regular basis.

If want to compete against an accepted standard for portraits, judged by working photographers, look into your state chapter of the PPA. http://www.ppofi.org/

The later can be a bit costly.

Good luck!

-Pete Christie

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Always read all of the fine print. Many "contests" are used by companies to gather photography to use for cheap. Make sure you know what they are going to be using the photos for, and what rights you may be giving them by entering the contest.

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Yeah, I did a quick google search last night before I posted this and just about everything I saw had me giving up complete copyright to the contest. I was going to enter that one shot of Molly in a baby magazine cover contest, but again, it gives up complete copyright--I wouldn't even be able to use the photo on my own website anymore. That's not cool at all. No way I'll enter anything that has me giving up copyright on my work. :irked:

8. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can always submit it to baby or parenting magazines. The photographers market book will have listings with contact information for all those types of magazines and how much they pay.