Continuous Shutter issue: Nikon D5000

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Santa Gertrudis, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Santa Gertrudis

Santa Gertrudis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In single shot mode everything works just fine, but when I put it in continuous mode, it does this...

click click click click..........click.........click.........................click..............................click

After the first 4 or 5 shots, it gets progressively slower. Any ideas?

2. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How fast is your memory card? Could be that the buffer is so small that it can't handle more than those first few shots and then it has to slow down so that the write speed can keep up with the rate at which the pictures are being taken. The only other thought that comes to mind is battery charge and voltage fluctuations under load causing it to slow down.

3. Santa Gertrudis

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I don't really know too much about memory cards, but this is what I have...

SanDisk 8GB SDHC 15MB/s

I hardly EVER use continuous. Mainly because when I want to take just one, I end up holding it too long and take two. Just started playing with it the other day and noticed it doing this.

Off topic: Alex, you better change that signature! Sounds like you should have that D90 any day now!

4. jeremycnwy

jeremycnwy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    mine has done this too... it turns out to be a sd card issue... i have a generic brand class 6 card and mine will run about 8-9 pics before it starts slowing down. i have a friend who has a d5000 and has a sandisk extreme 3 class 6 card and his never slows down. my verdic is my generic brand class 6 card isnt really a true class 6 card. so i just bought a sandisk 8gb class 6 card (30mb/s). i'm hoping this will solve my issue, and sounds like you have an identical problem.

Also if you have the active d-lighting on it slows things down dramatically.

5. Santa Gertrudis

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, Jeremy! Ill fart with it a little and see what happens. With how little I use continuous, it's not really an issue, I just want it to work correctly. Ill get better SDs one of these days. :lmao:

6. the iconic image

the iconic image TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your memory card is too slow. The difference in cards is more than brand and cost. To give you an idea, I use Lexar 600x speed and it read 90 MB/s. The price difference is considerable but my camera is firing 10 fps and if your card can't read fast then it has to stutter and stumble and catch up.

the Iconic Image

7. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately I have no idea when it will be here and it seems like it has been forever but in reality it only left the sort facility in North Houston, TX around 10 pm on Tuesday the 9th...

Not sure how I will be able to wait so long! It seems like it's been forever already!

8. Santa Gertrudis

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, new SD cards: CHECK! :lmao: Thanks, iconic image!

Alex,
    I would imagine it might be there tomorrow! That bag I sent you today is showing to arrive in a couple days. Both coming from Texas.

EDIT: LOL I just noticed you changed your signature.

9. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you shooting in RAW or JPG? If you're shooting in RAW, a faster memory card might not help you much. Nikon doesn't publish their max burst specs on their website like Canon does, but on the lower end Canon's you can only get 6 RAW images fired before the buffer on the camera overflows. Once that happens shooting slows down considerably regardless of how fast your memory card is.

If shooting JPG on the Rebel you can shoot 53 images before the buffer overflows and the camera slows down. This is the specs on the XSi Rebel. On the Canon T1i it's 9 RAWs and 170 JPG's before the buffer overflows. I would imaging the D5000 has a pretty small buffer much like the Rebel and T1i. It's probably somewhere in between.

In other words, before spending $60+ on a memory card only to find you haven't improved things much (you might only get 2 or 3 more "clicks" before the slowdown), take a look in your manual and see if it tells you in there what your burst rate is since Nikon doesn't list it on their website.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have you read your camera users manual?

There is a menu option to display an indicator in the viewfinder that shows how many continuous shots can be made before the buffer is full.

See page 6 (item 12) and page 66 "The Memory Buffer".

11. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Entry level cameras with SD cards will always have this issue. Unless they find a way to significantly increase the speed of SD cards. CF cards are even a long way off from eliminated buffer capacity issues. You're SD would need to be around 50-60mb/s (spec) to keep up with your camera. At a minimum. I doubt we'll see SD cards that fast any time soon, or ever.

Cameras with 10-12fps would need cards 200+mb/s to keep up...

12. Santa Gertrudis

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot in JPEG only as of now.

Yeah, I read through the manual but must have missed it. Sorry! Thanks for all the help, guys!