Contracting Photographers

phototex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an art director looking to contract a photographer for a few shoots. Here is what I plan on posting for the job:

I'm looking to find some information/recommendations regarding photographers in the Austin area. At this point all I'm interested in is looking at samples
and rates (a url would be great!).

The work will be on a contract basis and will take place in the early part of next year. Travel will be involved, but nothing out of state (4 hours out of Austin would probably be the maximum distance). The shoots will take place in various Texas public schools and will involve teachers and children.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what other info a photographer would need to know please post up. I have used the same photographer in the past, and never really had to do this so any tips would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks,
-PhotoTex

bumpity, bump. I know someone has to have some answers! :D

No offense man but that sounds like the standard school picture stuff - we supply the equipment, transport, talent, etc. You get most of the profits.

Sorry, I guess I should have been a bit more clear, the photography would be for the largest teachers association in Texas (a membership of over 100,000 educators). The photography would be used in my upcoming campaign (billboards, brochures, collateral and some web) to recruit new members to the association. I am not looking for people to take "school pictures", this would be professionally shot commercial work.

Any thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated.

one last bump. Any help would be great, I know some of you have experince with this sort of thing. ;)

Cool, thanks for the link. Definitely a good place to start!

How about telling what you want in the pictures. Kids? Buildings? Teachers? A presentation? How the pictures are going to be used? What format...

Because right now it can be anything from school portraits to buildings...

I am looking for images of teachers and children interacting in the classroom. The association's brand style is black and white photography, so all images would run in this format.

I am looking for an an emotional feel in the images, I want the images to convey a feeling of dedication to the teaching profession.

Most of the images would be used in printed collateral (ie: brochures, direct mail, posters, etc)

Basically what I am trying to get at is— If you were interested in this job what sort of questions would you have for me.

Thanks for the help. -Tex

Do you want me to pose kids or to shoot journalistically?
Do you have a list of shots which are "a must"?

I can't really think of anything else.

Most reactions

Back