Contrast and Harsh Lighting

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, after some unfortunate events with my Project 365, I finally got back to a little shooting after a long break. I won't be shooting nearly as much as before, but hopefully this is a start!

I was in downtown Boulder today, getting a few street shots.

Here is one for now (C&C always welcome):

4411608101_6ac8f9c945_b.jpg

D just found out about your 365 project getting postponed b/c of the hands man. Hope you get that all straightened out.

For this guy..hmmm take it with a grain but I think the highlight ratio on the background is a bit too much. I would've killed the ambient more and snooted some light towards the shoes and the nicely textured brick. Realistically I know it's a street shot so it's hard to setup that way but since I know what your capable off I guess I'm setting my critique bars high :thumbup:

Too bad to hear about carpal tunnel syndrome being the killer of your 365 day project which started out so very, very nicely. Glad to see you being back to taking photos, as your photos are quite something else, very much on the way to being "YOUR photos", if you get what I mean: you're developing your own "photography language", which is one I like to "hear" as it sounds good to me!

So, as much as I liked your lovely-bokeh photos (as well as those that don't have one), I like this one, which goes with the lovely-bokeh series of yours, and I do like the POV you chose ... did you really drop down on your belly in the middle of that street in order to get this one?

Thank you !
D just found out about your 365 project getting postponed b/c of the hands man. Hope you get that all straightened out.

For this guy..hmmm take it with a grain but I think the highlight ratio on the background is a bit too much. I would've killed the ambient more and snooted some light towards the shoes and the nicely textured brick. Realistically I know it's a street shot so it's hard to setup that way but since I know what your capable off I guess I'm setting my critique bars high :thumbup:

Thank friend, appreciate the kind words. I agree with the lighting. This was all ambient during the harsh afternoon sunlight; did what I could. I wish I could have had some strobes and really made it nice. :eek:)

Too bad to hear about carpal tunnel syndrome being the killer of your 365 day project which started out so very, very nicely. Glad to see you being back to taking photos, as your photos are quite something else, very much on the way to being "YOUR photos", if you get what I mean: you're developing your own "photography language", which is one I like to "hear" as it sounds good to me!

So, as much as I liked your lovely-bokeh photos (as well as those that don't have one), I like this one, which goes with the lovely-bokeh series of yours, and I do like the POV you chose ... did you really drop down on your belly in the middle of that street in order to get this one?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am very upset about the 365, but oh well. Maybe in another lifetime.

Hehe...actually, for this shot, and other like it, I use the LiveView function on my D90. Just "shoot and pray" a few shots and hope for the best. :eek:)

glad to see you back shooting a little again man!! hope all is well!

great shot as always love the angle

The "tips" shot is pretty awesome!

i hate the border but really like this shot, i love the clean shoes and the dirty feeling of the street

love the dof and composition, i'm not one for borders but i think this one gives it almost a "view on black" effect. the monochromaticish color scheme really works too. i like it

Most reactions

Back