Convert to B&W in Photoshop 6

PAULWIN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I have a client who wants both b&w as well as color. I have an old Photoshop (6) ( which works well for me most of the time) but I don't think it has a channel mixer to use to covert to b&w and I am wondering if any one has a suggestions for using Photoshop 6?

Many thanks,

Paul

I would suggest that you convert to b&w by duplicating the background layer and adjust the saturation via hue/sat (ctrl+u) to 0. Now, you can adjust the tones by using curves or levels, but if you want similar control as the channel mixer, then do this:

Duplicate the background layer 2x. On the top most layer, adjust the saturation to zero via hue/sat. Set the blend mode of this layer to "color". On the layer beneath (1 above the background) adjust the hue/sat again, and this time change the hue. This will be similar to the channel mixer.

Photoshop 6 has the Channel Mixer. I'm still using PS 6 on one of my computers, and the Channel Mixer is my preferred method of converting to B&W. It works in both 8-bit and 16-bit per channel modes.

Best,
Helen

Thanks all of you people for the great information!!!

Paul

Most reactions

Back