Convince me to switch to Canon

Why would you want to switch brands now? I have been a Canon user since 1970 and have seen all the changes in equipment upgrades. As a Canon user I sometimes wish I had a Nikon D800 because Canon has fallen asleep with the release of any new technology. I don't think the profit is there anymore in the high end gear with cellphones being the most used camera today. I think there will less innovations with the high end equipment in the future. Do you remember the name Kodak, or maybe that was before your time.

It's up to you, you know what you want, what you expect out of a camera. I use canon because that's what I got and am used to. I just went through everything, computers, laptops etc., went from PC to apple Mac, not to be cool, not cause someone convinced me but because I was dissatisfied with my last few PCs, my truck stayed the same brand but a newer model with 4wd and more options, and my CANON was updated with a newer CANON. If the one you are replacing hasn't worked, quit it and try canon.

There is only one reason to switch to Canon.

You can blend into the crowd and be like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone else.

:)

BTW, I shoot Nikons. I've used both extensively and I HATE HATE HATE Canon ergonomics. Plus the flash setup is just bonkers. But that's just me, and I fully accept that people who are used to them probably think they are great.

There is plenty of brands. Sony comes to mind

Sony is the root of all evil and must be scorched from the surface of the earth.

Sony is the root of all evil and must be scorched from the surface of the earth.

What makes you say that?

Manaheim, did you perhaps mean to write that, "Sony is the rootkit of all evil," ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/19/business/media/19online.html?_r=0

^ THAT... is only ONE of the many reasons why Sony absolutely sucks.

Here's another:
PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The handling of this network disaster of theirs was an absolute train wreck, and that's not even getting into the fact that it should never have happened in the first place.

Also, spend any amount of time playing with their consumer devices. There was once a time when I would buy everything Sony. I'd pretty much walk into the shop, point to the Sony one, and walk home happy. Then their quality started to drop... drastically. Their products are cheap, poorly built, crap.

There was also an article about 10 years or so ago where the CEO of Sony was pretty much like "We're unbelievably broken and I'm not sure how to fix it." I wish I could dig that gem up.

YES, I read that article you speak of. I know whatcha mean: I had a Made in Japan Sony Discman for eight years. Bought it when CD tech was still 'spensive....wanna say I payed $169.95 for it. It worked and worked and worked, and then a near car accident (panic stop from 70 MPH to basically 5 MPH, tires locked, skidding on the interstate) sent it from the back seat of the van and it flew through the air and smashed into the dash...and it broke. Bought another Sony Discman to replace it, which was in 2002 I think it was, for $49.95. Made in Malaysia. Lasted 10 DAYS, and stopped working. Went back to Fry's, got another SOny Discman, and in three months...it broke down. Bought another one...lasted until summer, then conked out...so $150 on three successive POS Sony CD players...so, I went and bought an iPod...lasted for yeaaaaaaaars. I have owned three iPods since they were invented. My newest one was made in 2005. STILL WORKS.

Yup. That's totally the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Their PHONES, btw, are the WORST. I had one from them that would randomly off-hook the line. I had another that would freak out and start screeching at you. Total garbage.

No, actually, I'm not. I mean, yeah, sure, they're pretty much the cornerstone of the digital camera industry, but I have SUCH a problem with Sony I'd prefer them just drop off the face of the earth and leave room for someone else to come along.

I also, by the way, have purchased a Sony digital clock and a Sony BluRay player in the past 5 years... because they were the best options to fit my requirements... I also have several Apple devices in the house even though I HATE Apple. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I will look for every possible alternative possible before giving up... and buying a Sony.

Let's get this straight, I have yet to memorize any specific technicals about my camera (5D mkIII) or any others simply because I don't need to. Now, assuming you know your basic Canon-Nikon history, AF systems is a strong topic in considering either brand. I'm going to avoid that simply because too many people talk about it already. Same goes with ergonomics, its all up to personal preferences, and as such so is color preferences. I have a strong personal connection with the Canon brand, it and Sony having featured prominently in my childhood and are one of two logos that still blaze strong in my memories. And while I have been pampered by some serious glass from Canon (85mm f/1.2L II) that my father lets me borrow from time to time, honestly any glass will work with any brand (brand glass works best with brand bodies, obviously) through conversion kits or whatever you fancy.
A camera is an extension of your eye. It is meant to capture what you see, to preserve what you want to remember, exactly how you want to remember it. Whatever brand you use is what does this the most fluidly. I caught photos on my old EOS 20D just as good as the ones I'm getting from my 5D mkIII, the only reasons I upgraded were focus points, megapixels, and full-frame sensor. It really honestly doesn't matter. Like I said earlier, Canon was a prominent figure in my life growing up, and the fact that I'm using a Canon product to capture my own memories helps tie so strong a connection to my photos and my loyalty to my brand. It's that I feel a continuation of everything, and I'd lose this if I were to shoot with a Nikon. Simply put, take your manual transmission Honda Accord coupe you inherited from your father, keep it in the family for 20 some years, pouring all this money into upgrades and fixtures, then throw it all away for a brand new automatic Subaru. It's still a car, but you lose that connection and familiarity. To this effect, I lose all emotional connection in my photos were I to use a camera I am completely unfamiliar with.
Granted, you could learn to get used to it, but I personally would prefer to be taking pictures in the time spent learning a new system.
I know this was technical like nothing else (total sarcasm), but this was just my two pennies to rub together.

Forget them both get a Leica M9 or Sony A7 if you want nice colour, A7 and Voigtlander close focus is good fun

DSC01096-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back