Cop attacks cameraman.

No check and balances...
Well technically the judicial system is a check on the police, but unfortunately it is only an after-the-fact check, and the two branches can get out of balance.

I think some of us even in this forum might get a rush from having as much power as a cop.

No offense to police officers intended, its a false sense of power, the fact is that police are on the very bottom of a bureaucratic system, they only do the bidding of the people and laws above them, I respect the work that police do(punching cameramen excluded), but everyone else in the legislative and judicial systems actually have much more real power than police.

Either way... asking for that information is ~not~ considered out of the norm nor should an experienced police officer consider that request a threat.

Come to think of it, I've even asked it very impolitely of a person I found where nobody was expected to be when he identified himself as an off duty state trooper. (No, I don't have them memorized, but anybody who wears a badge will rattle off the number without thinking, whereas someone making it up on the spot will generally hesitate.) He answered immediately and without taking offense.

(And, yes, I did check his ID once I got closer.)

Simply put, the follow-up to that for the camera man is to visit a civil rights lawyer and then go into the Prosecutor's office with the civil rights lawyer and lay a charge of assault and battery against the police officer.

Follow that up with a substantial lawsuit against the individual and the force.

For some camera men it might also be wise to have a web cam running from inside your car.

skieur

IMO, the other check should be other officers with a higher sense of moral and ethics.

Self-restraint!?! What an idea! :er: Although its a great idea, I don't see it happening. Cops watch after each other like crazy. My uncle was a cop, and his kids could get pulled over for speeding, say their dad was a cop (not even in the same place), and they'd get out of it. That's OUTRAGEOUS!

Self-restraint!?! What an idea! :er: Although its a great idea, I don't see it happening. Cops watch after each other like crazy. My uncle was a cop, and his kids could get pulled over for speeding, say their dad was a cop (not even in the same place), and they'd get out of it. That's OUTRAGEOUS!

Kinda like in Cupertino, CA a few months ago when a Sheriff's Deputy (with a history of DUI) fell asleep behind the wheel of his cruiser, crossed the double-yellow, and plowed down three cyclists, two of whom died. This Deputy was ushered from the scene of the accident by a fellow Deputy before investigators could arrive.

What does it matter how much the camera is worth..

Well in a normal conversation... it means a lot. Credibility is what I am talking about. If they were ready to lie about the value/cost of a camera, they would be just as ready to cut & splice the tape to make the cop look terrible and bend things to their favor.

I am NOT vindicating the actions of a backstabbing or back attacking cop, but I also feel there is a lot of info missing from this.

Has anyone read anywhere what ever happened to the cop? Suspended, fired, put in jail, let go... anything?

Well in a normal conversation... it means a lot. Credibility is what I am talking about. If they were ready to lie about the value/cost of a camera, they would be just as ready to cut & splice the tape to make the cop look terrible and bend things to their favor.

I am NOT vindicating the actions of a backstabbing or back attacking cop, but I also feel there is a lot of info missing from this.

Has anyone read anywhere what ever happened to the cop? Suspended, fired, put in jail, let go... anything?

Anything that is missing is rather irrelevant to what is not missing. The cop attacked the photographer and thereby committed a crime.

skieur

My uncle was a cop, and his kids could get pulled over for speeding, say their dad was a cop (not even in the same place), and they'd get out of it. That's OUTRAGEOUS!

It is worse here in NJ. Gold medallions and PBA cards are essentially a ticket pass.. I've even seen them given to friends and family as so called "gifts". One buddy of mine was in a hurry and said I can speed to get there faster... don't worry, he had some cards with him.

I'm from Texas and wasn't used to this "game". I ended up getting screwed in court and by the state of NJ for an incident. I was advised to "play the game" and pay off the court (essentially)... I was too proud to play that game it almost costed me my license.

What I really need to do is stop buying cars that are popular with the Teenage stupidity scene.

Anything that is missing is rather irrelevant to what is not missing. The cop attacked the photographer and thereby committed a crime.

Exactly.. crime is committed regardless of how much the equipment is worth. The seriousness of the assault is not lessened if the person had a $100 P&S.

Most reactions

Back