"Copy and Paste" Pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PHYLAL, Jun 20, 2008.

1. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I a somewhat new to digital photography. I have used my wife's Canon Power Shot A80 and have had no problems. I recently purchased a Nikon D40. When I download the pictures into the computer, I cannot copy and past them to a file. I only get a blank square with an "X" in the corner. What might I be doing wrong?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome.

Are you shooting in RAW mode? Your computer might not be recognizing the files from your new camera, you might need to update the software etc.

3. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The camera is set to normal (default), which is JPEG.

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you mean by 'copy and paste them to a file'? What sort of file are you trying to paste them into?

5. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    An example: I usually make a travel diary of our vacations including the pictures I have taken and any information I can about the photos, i.e., memories, internet downloads, etc. I usually do this in MS Word.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, I see.

I think your problem may be that the files from the D40 are fairly large and they may be causing problems.

After you take the images off of the camera and save them to your harddrive. Open then with an image editing program, your camera will have come with something. You can then tweak them, if you like....from there, you can resize them and save a copy at a smaller size that is more suited to putting into word files etc.

The files are large and the quality is great...so you could make large prints if you like...but the trade off is that you probably need to do the extra step before you use like like you are used to.

7. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I suspected as much. The pictures from my wife's Canon are considerably smaller in KB, in fact my pictures from the D40 are in the 1.5 MB range. Will try your suggestion. Thanks.

8. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you able to open the jpegs from the D40 at all? Like in Windows Picture and Fax viewer? I'm wondering if you have a bad SD card or something.

If it is a problem with MS Word, you could try Powerpoint .. I've made slideshows with very large images in that program before.

9. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I was able to view the pictures all over the computer, in various files and programs. I, as explained, could not copy and paste to a MS Word file. I was able to solve the problem thanks to "Big Mike". And thanks to all who tried to help.

10. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks again.... problem solved (I hope). I was able to open the picture in "MS Picture It" and then from there I was able to copy and paste. The picture file size was reduced by half (which is still pretty large). I will need to explore other submitted ideas as well. Thanks again to all.

11. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are copying and pasting, the picture size is not cut in half, it is only scaled down.

Using MSWord, all pictures you put into the document will add to the file size of the word document. You state your pictures are average of 1.5 mb. That means, without actually editing, resizing, and resaving the images before using them in MSWord, if you for example, put 10 images in the word doc, you doc will be at least 1.5x10 mb in size. Now you are looking at a 15 mb word document.

A MUCH better way for adding images to Word would be to open the images in some editing software. Gimp for a photoshop type program or IrfanView for an easier to learn editor are both completely free to download. For simplicity, I would recommend Irfanview. I don't know the exact steps and menus, but it is something like this... Open the image, go to the "Edit" menu (I'm guessing here) and select "Resize". Resize the image at least down to 800x600. Even that is a very large file (too large to fit in Word without further scaling from within Word). Resave that file with a different file name to be sure the original is untouched (Resave as filename-copy.jpg for example.)

Now, within Word, in the Insert menu you will see "Picture" and another dropdown box will appear and you will see "From file..." Select that, navigate to where you saved the resized image and select that. It will help to keep your Word doc from becoming gigantic.

You can then scale the images down a bit from within Word by double clicking the image, selecting the "Size" tab, and scaling it down with a percentage from there.

12. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just did some more checking and you are right, the file size is the same. I do not know what I saw, or thought I saw, before. I may have to look into your suggestions. For now, I can copy and paste as I wanted too. Thank you.