Copyright help!

Verbal

$100
Reaction score
Alright, I reeeeally want to sell my Aragorn drawing, but I'm having issues. I thought I'd try submitting it as a print to dA, but they rejected it (as I expected). However, if I can get the person holding the copyright to shoot them an email, they'll put it up. So the picture I drew was from a movie screenshot... who the heck would I go to to ask if I can sell it??

hmmmmm...... the copyright holder of the movie....most likely, the studio.

I looked at the drawing and what I notice is that it isn't anything specific to a movie. The only problem I see is if "Aragorn" is under copyright which would be in the UK, and then Tolkein died so I'm sure there.

However, does the movie studio have exclusive rights the likeness of a character played by a human?

Surely the copywrights yours?

Like a photo...if I take a photo which is sooo similar...they cant find 5 (or maybe 10) differences, then it is copywrighted image because its exactly the same.

Surely the fact that its a drawing counts a LOT, not a picture, theres no set background...personally I agree with Darin, its only the name Aragorn, you ARE the copywright holder in my mind...

I guess the problem is that what's selling mostly is the fact that it's Aragorn in that drawing... I'll show you guys what the email said.

They say it's because it's a copyrighted character?

We're sorry, but copyrighted characters, images, or lyrics can not be
printed through deviantART. If you can get the copyright holder to
email [email protected] and provide authorization we will
approve the print. Until then, however, this print must be rejected.

Try emailing the movie director. He has a reputation for being a pretty cool guy and may be willing to point you in the right direction.

LizM said:
Try emailing the movie director. He has a reputation for being a pretty cool guy and may be willing to point you in the right direction.

You think Peter Jackson would actually email me back???

I just did a quick Google, and found that he has a rule of not giving out his email address, only snail mail. =(

Well, it's certainly not the name "Aragorn." Under copyright law (US and elsewhere) names cannot be copyrighted. dA is notorious for rejecting print files that are too small, so I think that may have been the reason.

Verbal said:
I guess the problem is that what's selling mostly is the fact that it's Aragorn in that drawing... I'll show you guys what the email said.

They say it's because it's a copyrighted character?

But the character arargorn isn't copyrighted. There was no specific description of aragorn before the movies. The movies starred an actor therefore you are drawing the actor, and we all know taking pictures (or drawing) of a celebrity is just fine.

clarinetJWD said:
Well, it's certainly not the name "Aragorn." Under copyright law (US and elsewhere) names cannot be copyrighted. dA is notorious for rejecting print files that are too small, so I think that may have been the reason.

No the files was definitely large enough... 300 dpi, huge resolution... it wasn't that. =\

clarinetJWD said:
so they didn't give you a reason for not accepting it?

Verbal said:

It was a little too vague for my taste, but they did...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back