copyright....

Southerngal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im curious as to what others do to prevent their pics from reprint.....watermark? copyright stamp on the back of pic?

Do you mean in paper print form? Or digital files?

Digital files, I don't worry about it. They're all at "web resolution," and you can't get a decent print of any size from the images I post. I've yet to find one of my digitized photos on someone else's website, so it simply hasn't been an issue. I did, at one time, include an unobtrusive but clear copyright notice near the edge of the image, but I typically don't bother anymore.

With paper prints, I write a few things on the back... copyright notice, my name, and print/negative ID (mainly so I can make another one later... I log all my printing information). I do this with a #2 graphite pencil in small letters near the edge on the back of the print, being careful not to leave an imprint that goes through the paper.

Normally, though, I just don't distribute paper prints. Haven't had much need to do so.

Yes, I am talking about in print. I have had a few recent sessions and orders have been placed. I dont want there to be any chance of a reprint unless it is through a second order.

If you are giving them 'proof' prints...then you can go as far as actually putting a copyright right on the image either before you print the files or with a photo stamp right onto the print.

If you are selling them prints, and you want them to return to you for reprints...you are a little more limited. Firstly, it's illegal for them to make unauthorized copies. You could let them know this (many people don't realize). You could put copyright information on the back. Labs shouldn't scan the image for them, they should know that it's illegal...but if they use a scanner themselves...there isn't much you can do to stop them.

If you find that this is a problem, maybe raise the price of your prints, so that you don't care if they make copies. Or, you could sell them the files (and essentially the reprint rights) and then never have to worry about it.

You will find it a better solution to raise your rates to account for any unsanctioned reprints because otherwise you will just be losing money. Everyone has or knows someone with a flatbed scanner and access to the internet to order prints online.

Or, you could sell them the files (and essentially the reprint rights) and then never have to worry about it.

What would be a reasonable fee for this for a Professional versus just-getting-started photographers?

I saw a local site and the fee was $50 per digi file. I have no idea if that is a typical fee or not and was just curious.

There is no easy answer for this. I guess you could say 'Charge as much as you can get'...but that doesn't help.

You could try to figure out how much you would get selling prints and reprints...and charge that much for the files.

It also depends on your price structure. Maybe you don't change for a sitting fee initial cost...but then you sell the files for $50 or $100 each. Maybe you charge $100 or $1000 for the initial fee...and you just give them the files.

Charge what your conscious will allow plus 30%. (always save some back for equipment- and be sure to save out taxes) If you get a lot of business then raise your rates. If you do not get enough then lower them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back