Corel PSP Question?

GreenNV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pic7.piczo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a nice closeup photo I took of my neice and I cropped it up and converted it to an infrared film effect but I would like to keep her natural eye color as she has such beautiful big blue eyes. I've seen this done with photos but I have no clue as to going about doing this so I'm hoping that someone could simply guide me through with some direction. I would appreciate it so much. Thanks. :)

Can you make or add 'layers' in PSP? In Photoshop, what you would do is to make a duplicate layer first off, then do you changes (convert to IR effect) on the top layer. Then just erase the parts of the top layer that you want to show through.

I made some attempt but I still don't understand exactly how to do this. I do have option to add layers in Corel PSP and I understand how to duplicate but that's it, I don't know how or what you mean by erasing the parts, etc. Is there a tutorial somewhere that I could read that will give me a step by step instruction on how to do this? Thanks again. :)

Is there an eraser tool? It might be that easy...just make sure you are erasing the top layer. In Photoshop, you can also use something called 'layer masks'...which is almost the same as erasing but it's more flexible. Sorry, I wish I knew more about PSP.

Have you tried a Google search for "Paint shop Pro"+selective color+tutorial?

Yes, there is an eraser tool so I will check that out again and see what I can come up with. ;)
No, I haven't tried google...I wasn't sure how to even word it so thanks for that. I will check that out as well. Thank-you Big Mike, I appreciate your help. :)

GreenNV, all these things Big Mike is referring to are there as you have found out. It is simply a matter of playing and trial and error. Corel has some tutorials on its web site for some further how to. Let us see how it comes out.

I'll be interested also cause I have psp .Just downloaded update that reads my raw files too :cheer:

Big Mike already explained it pretty well, bu if youre still having problems, i might be able to describe it better to you because i use PSP myself.

assuming you have the original shot and the infrared edited one, open both in PSP.

right click on the infrared version and click copy.

right click on the original, and click paste as new layer.

make sure the infrared layer is highlighted in the layers toolbar on the right side.

click the eraser tool and set the size to be about half the size of the area you want change, in this case, the eyes. set the hardness to between 50 and 75.

start erasing the eyes on the infrared (top) layer and youll see the original eyes come through.

once your satisfied that it looks the way you want it to, click "layers" on the top toolbar, then go to merge, then click merge all / flatten.

save the final picture when youre happy with it.

remember too, when erasing, if you want or need to unerase a part of the picture, just right click to unerase and go back over what you didnt want erased.

if you need any more help with PSP, just let me know. ive been using it for a long time, so im pretty familiar with all the tools it has.

Even better, if PaintShopPro supports masks. Then you apply a mask, and then just 'paint' the blue eyes on. If you make a mistake, then all you have to do is invert the color of the brush (if you're painting white, then switch to black, and vice-versa) and then paint over the part where you went outside the lines.

Layer masks are amazing.

Big Mike already explained it pretty well, bu if youre still having problems, i might be able to describe it better to you because i use PSP myself.

assuming you have the original shot and the infrared edited one, open both in PSP.

right click on the infrared version and click copy.

right click on the original, and click paste as new layer.

make sure the infrared layer is highlighted in the layers toolbar on the right side.

click the eraser tool and set the size to be about half the size of the area you want change, in this case, the eyes. set the hardness to between 50 and 75.

start erasing the eyes on the infrared (top) layer and youll see the original eyes come through.

once your satisfied that it looks the way you want it to, click "layers" on the top toolbar, then go to merge, then click merge all / flatten.

save the final picture when youre happy with it.

remember too, when erasing, if you want or need to unerase a part of the picture, just right click to unerase and go back over what you didnt want erased.

if you need any more help with PSP, just let me know. ive been using it for a long time, so im pretty familiar with all the tools it has.

Sorry for taking so long getting back to this thread. Thanks for all for your help. :hug::

John, how do I get the layers toolbar to show up again on the right. It use to be there but it's not now and I can't figure out how to get it back there? :er: Thanks. :sexywink:

Not John but... VIEW>Palettes - there is a number of palettes you can then choose to display.

Okay guys, this is just a rush job to see if I was doing this properly and I can't believe it, it worked. :D Thanks so much John, your instructions were so easy to understand. If any of you have any other suggestions or tips, please feel free to lay it on me. Thanks to everyone for your help. :)

Andreablueeyes.jpg

sorry i couldnt reply sooner. ive been busy, but im glad i could help.

i like the edit you posted. the eye color doesnt jump right out but is still easily noticeable and i think it works well. selective coloring IMO works on so few pictures, and this is one of them.

Most reactions

Back