Correcting Shots Through Tinted Glass

King Mango

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was recently on a trip to Vegas and splurged on a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon. I didn't shoot an awful lot in the Canyon proper, and what I did shoot didn't turn out that good. But there are some on the way to and from that are decent and I am having a hard time cancelling out the effect of shooting from behind tinted glass.
Here is one of the shots I've been trying to work on:

P1000751-1024.jpg

I just can't seem to get it realistic looking. There may not be any one way either for all the shots vary from warm to cool depending upon the angle of the sun. I suppose the canopy was polarized and in some ways acted as a ND.

Here's a zoomed shot I'm amazed came out at all with the vibrations from flight and normal hand jitter at 12x tele...

P1000753-1024.jpg

looks like it needs some contrast

here you go...some local contrast and a little levels tweaking

p1000751.jpg

p1000753-1024.jpg

I HATE advocating this ... because I rail against the use of auto-anything settings in Photoshop when I'm teaching classes ...

BUT try the Auto Levels setting before you do any other fine tuning ... and see what happens.

i did it on one of your shots and I think it works quite well.

Those look good Molsen :beer:
I went into selective color and took up the black in the reds and dropped it in a few others, as well some other small tweaks. Dropped some yellow trying to make the green work on both the golf course and the brush around the stream. [EDIT] In addition to your advice. Dunno now. Mine looks a little red...[/EDIT]

P1000751corrected01-1024.jpg

When you say high pass sharpening do you mean high pass a layer on overlay?

When I did them helicopter flights over the Grand Canyon I stuck my camera outside, through the 15x15" 'window'/hole in the plexiglass dome, followed by my head (there wasn't enough room to do both simultaneously) and then shot straight down from a mile up. Totally unimpeded.
The trade-off was of course that the helicopter wash messed up my hair (I still had it then; oh, sweet memories...).

I will try it with auto levels and see what happens. I'm about done for the night though. Thank you Sandspur.

lol @ Alfred D. For some hair is over rated. Mine is like a brillo pad and if I didn't have an enormous oblong melon I'd shave it.

Next time I go I may bring some friends, rent a chopper and then hold the pilot at gunpoint (read: $$) while we slide open the door and hang off the landing rails to take shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back